Windows 7 Re install of Win 7 or sale of is this possible?

4romseyavenue

Hi all

newbie here. I recently purchased a genuine retail win 7 home premium upgrade from Currys only 10 weeks ago. Yesterday my netbook which I installed the win 7 upgrade on has died and is not fixable and will have to be scrapped.

1 So my question is, if I buy a second hand replacement that does not have win 7, can I use the upgrade again? If so how will I activate it, as it is strictly still on the dead machine.

2 Alternatively if I buy a new machine with win 7 already installed, can I sell the upgrade version and if I do how will the purchaser activate it.

Regards Bill

I would assume if you feel you cannot re-activate the upgrade version yourself, you would believe a purchaser could not either.

If the other machine is dead and will not be used again (and Microsoft will know) you can reinstall the upgrade and go through the phone activation on a new system, or at least it appears you can. It seems once you have activated an install, Microsoft knows you have the requirements and will let you reactivate on a clean install, they will just need the numbers your system will generate and for you to swear it will only be on one system.

Hi Saltgrass

thanks, regarding the re-activation I am just not sure how I would do it. Is it easy? Do you just do a normal re-install and will it take you through what to do? As you can gather I am no expert.

Thanks Bill

Reinstall and when you activate, it will probably tell you to call. The process (I can't remember exactly) will ask you to obtain some numbers and read them over the phone. It does not take long. If it doesn't work the first time, you can try again.

I never put my license key in until I am ready to activate, so do not check the activate when online box.

Back