Windows 8 re-installing windows 8

Ian Chisnall

Dear Forum
Some time ago when I was running Windows Vista, I purchased the upgrade to Windows 8.
I was given a product key by email . The email also gave a link to start the upgrade process.
I still have the email.
My present Windows 8 installation is causing problems having become corrupted: I want to restall it using the email link and product key .
My question please is : - will I be able to re-load it over the existing Windows 8 installation, or will I have to go through the rigmarole of first re-installing Windows Vista THEN putting Windows 8 back on.

Your kind advice on this is appreciated.
Ian

Hello Ian and welcome to the forums.
Have you exhausted both the Refresh and the Reset options from within Windows 8?
You may need to Google a bit to understand how to use them and what the each actually do, but one, both or either may save you from a complete re-install.
Although a Reset is pretty close to the equivalent.

There is also a third option.....
Called an inplace upgrade/repair explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
It's for earlier versions but generally works exactly the same in "8" if you have the proper installation media (which seems to be seldom the case when it comes to Windows 8).

Back
Top Bottom