Hellreject

Hello all.

After installing Windows 7 (first the Beta 1 build, and now the 7057 build), I've had a lot of trouble installing my card reader. Windows 7 will install a default driver, listing it as a "RealTek USB 2.0 Card Reader". It will not, however, take any of my SD cards. Have tried several cards, and nothing will be read.

I tried uninstalling it via the device manager, but when it wanted to install the driver again, the installation did not complete and it just displays a yellow "!" and says "USB Mass Storage Device". The Action Center doesn't even register any errors.

I've now spent about two weeks looking around for a working driver, and I've not come across anything that works. Anyone have any ideas?

Computer specs found in ma profile.

Solution
It seems like you are facing issues with your card reader after installing Windows 7, specifically with the driver installation and card recognition. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting Steps for Card Reader Issue on Windows 7:​

1. Update or Reinstall the Driver:
    • Go to the Device Manager.
    • Look for the card reader under "Disk Drives" or "USB controllers."
    • Right-click on the card reader device and select "Update driver" or "Uninstall device" followed by "Scan for hardware changes."
    []Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows 7 installation is fully updated. Sometimes, Windows Updates can include driver updates for...
It seems like you are facing issues with your card reader after installing Windows 7, specifically with the driver installation and card recognition. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting Steps for Card Reader Issue on Windows 7:​

1. Update or Reinstall the Driver:
    • Go to the Device Manager.
    • Look for the card reader under "Disk Drives" or "USB controllers."
    • Right-click on the card reader device and select "Update driver" or "Uninstall device" followed by "Scan for hardware changes."
    []Check for Windows Updates:
    • Ensure that your Windows 7 installation is fully updated. Sometimes, Windows Updates can include driver updates for devices.
    [
    ]Manufacturer's Website:
    • Visit the manufacturer's website of your card reader to see if they provide Windows 7 compatible drivers. Download and install the specific driver for your card reader model.
    []Compatibility Mode:
    • If you find a driver that is not explicitly for Windows 7, you can try installing it in compatibility mode. Right-click on the driver installer, go to Properties, and navigate to the Compatibility tab to choose the compatibility mode.
    [
    ]Third-Party Driver Update Tools:
    • Consider using third-party driver update tools that can scan your system and automatically find suitable drivers for your hardware.
    []Check SD Card Compatibility:
    • Ensure that the SD cards you are using are compatible with the card reader. Try using different brands or types of SD cards to rule out compatibility issues.
    [
    ]Reset USB Root Hub:
    • In Device Manager, expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section, right-click on each "USB Root Hub," and select "Uninstall device." Restart your computer to let Windows reinstall the USB controllers.
  2. Check for Hardware Issues:
    • Test the card reader on another computer to see if it works. This can help determine if the issue is with the card reader itself.

Additional Resources:​

• This Windows 7 driver troubleshooting guide from Microsoft might also provide further insights into resolving driver-related issues. Would you like assistance in searching for specific drivers for your card reader model compatible with Windows 7? If you could provide the exact model of your card reader, I can assist in finding the appropriate driver for you.

Solution
Back