Windows 7 Recovering FireFox Bookmarks From Windows XP Upgrade to Win 7

AttilaMagyar

I upgraded from Win XP to Win 7 following the Microsoft guide I printed, "Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7." Everything went well except when I used EasyTransfer to transfer my Win XP Settings back to Win 7 the Bookmark Profile for FireFox V28 did not transfer over to Win 7. I reinstalled FF V 28 and expected to see my old bookmarks but did not. MS says that my Win XP settings are contained in the folder, Windows.old. I see this folder on my C: drive. How can extract the old FF profile with my old bookmarks and install them for use with my re-installed FF?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Take a look in your old Windows XP files (Windows.OLD) here Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

I haven't looked in a Windows.OLD folder for a while but the data structure should be similar.
In that folder you should see a profile with a strange name like ( jq0kqkpj.default ) yours will likely be slightly different. Open that and look for a folder called ( bookmarkbackups ) there you should see a file with a .json extension.
You should be able to restore you bookmarks from that file by using the import feature from firefox bookmarks menu.

Thank you for your help. By following your path I was able to restore my WIN XP FF Bookmarks over to my WIN 7 FF bookmarks. Now everything appears to be restored properly and Windows 7 appears to be operating trouble free. Thank you.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for posting back and letting us know, how you made out with your issue.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Back