Windows 10 Recovery USB choice

Fenway16

Honorable Member
I managed to retrieve my HP external drive from being a recovery drive. I finally got through to Dell tech support and they took files off. As an aside, I knew if I could format it it would erase everything and I could use it again. The Dell person did just that but I couldn't - I right clicked on the drive but format did not show up. Anyway, after a rather laborious call (to India-quick speaking helper) - I got it back. I am looking at the following to use for recovery:
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Will this be ok?

Thank you.

Yes, you can just the Windows installer on there and that has the Windows recovery PE on it.

Hi - as it turns out the price for that drive went from 5.99 on sun to 17.99 today. I found a verbatim pin stripe 16 gb at staples for 4.50. So when I create the recovery on that drive, it will make an image of my system as of the date I do it to include my documents, my applications and the windows OS. Yes?
Also: Yes, you can just the Windows installer on there? PE?
Sorry don't get what you are saying.

You asked if the it could be used for recovery. Recovery is an bootable stripped down version of Windows to recovery (repair) a system. It is not a backup of your data or the OS. You'd need enough space to whole a system image which is likely to be mush larger than 16GB

Sorry for my confusion. I guess I am getting back up and recovery mixed. So after I make this recovery usb, I then run it to repair any issues that may have occurred - with the repair, is the OS then replaced?

To image the disk (back up to include OS and apps and data), I guess Macrium app would be what I need. thanks again.

A repair only detects and attempts to correct problems the operating system in not replaced.

A data backup simply backs up data and can only be used to restore that data. Programs and the OS would need to be re-installed.

Clone or system images can be used to roll back the entire system. Clonezilla or Macrum would be example software for this.

So once upon time many OS's ago, the mfg of these fine machines would supply an installation disk and if you had problems, you could re-install from that disk. Now, you have to go through a few steps to re-install the OS, it would appear. When I had tech support on the line recovering my pocket drive for general use, she also downloaded something called, Rufus which I have not installed. I am going to download Macrium to this Dell - since I would like everything recovered - guess that's the best thing for me to do. Thanks again for your help.

This morning I formatted a new 16GB Verbatim usb drive. Proceeded to make recovery drive. About 90% finished and it stops with the message problem occurred creating recovery drive. Nothing else so don't know what happened. About the 90% mark a msg came up that Dell had updates to install. Would that have interfered with the process. NOthing got installed from Dell but don't know what effect the msg may have had. Not sure what to do now. Looked at the contents - EFI, reagent and sources on drive. Any thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom