Windows 7 Reformatted. 55 gigs installed on 500 gigabyte hardrive, only 120 gigs of free space available?

Drag0ntamer

After reformatting my computer and reinstalling all I needed I am noticing some odd issues. For one some of my old programs/games that were not in the program files folder were still on my system and 2 after only installing 55 gigs of data on my 500 gigabyte hard-drive I only have 120 gigabytes available for use. Why is this? What's going on and did I do something wrong? Is there another method I should use to reformat other then just putting my CD in and restarting to enable the process and choosing the default options?

You need to explicitly choose custom install (during the install) to clean install plus use the drive options to format the hard disk and delete/create partitions if desired.

If you open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and look at the partitions, you might get a clue what is happening. If you want, you can use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach using the paperclip in Advanced response mode.

Here is the capture. I think I will do another reformat and be sure I do a clean install and delete any partitions etc.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

So you believe there is not over 300 Gigs of data on the partition? It looks fine like it is.

Do a search of your system for large files, maybe something will show up.

You might have a windows.old folder left over from the previous install. Other space hogging files are system restore points, hiberfil.sys (hibernation file) and various temporary files. All these can be removed or selectively removed.

Back