Windows 8 refresh Windows 8.1

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I have Win 8.1.
I made a dvd from the Win 8 iso file and then got 8.1 from the store.

if I want to refresh 8.1 can I insert my only dvd disc of 8.0 and once refreshed, go to the store to install 8.1?
I would prefer this to trying to create an 8.1 dvd if possible. I think the activation numbers etc. would be confusing to me.

I also got the Win Media Center with my original 8.0 disc and hope his too could be included in the refresh.
Perhaps I go to This PC + right click for properties. I then click on something like add more to Win 8.1?
Thank you
Peter

Hello
The following is what I read at the referral site. I had read that before, thank you, but that is why I am here. It is confusing to me as I do not have recovery partition.
"If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished."

I look forward to some information as to what I should do given my circumstances.
Thank you
Peter

Hello and thank you for your kind reply.
I noticed it said the pc would be returned to Win RE while I have Win 8.1 Pro with the Media Center.
I am sorry to pick details but wish to do this properly than be sorry later.
Thank you for your patience.
Peter

In Windows 8, there are specific names for certain operations and can cause confusion for the reader. In Windows 8.1, you cannot Refresh your system unless you have the Windows 8.1 install files or you have made a Custom Refresh Image. A Refresh does not reset the entire install but assumes some files will already be present on the drive.

A Reset will revert you back to 8.0 if you have the large Recovery Partition which contains the factory image necessary for that operation or you have another form of a usable image. If you were to have the 8.1 install files, you could Reset with that but probably run into the "Which key do I use" situation.

As far as I know, you have no control over what happens with the Media Center except to reinstall if it disappears.

I used it on mine and It allowed me to keep win 8.1 with media center as long as I kept my files instead of a clean install. I don't know if all would do the same.

I too believe I used the Win 8 disc to refresh then used the store to get to 8.1. After I got the media center by right clicking this PC and clicking add at the top. This is a big maybe as I am not absolutely sure it was so long ago + that is why I came here.

Important to note is that Win 8.1 refresh and reset are broken and many are left struggling. I found this information from a person and looked it up. It is broken as far as what I have read goes. I was given a command prompt to refresh but am going to wait.
I wonder if you insert the Win 8 disc; could you clean install 8 and go to the store for 8.1?

And once installed you could get the media center with your key by right clicking This Pc and clicking 'add" at the top?

We should then disregard refresh and reset - thank you for your advice as I am trying to put this together.
Do you know if this is a temporary or permanent condition?

Back