Windows 10 Regarding the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, Can Windows 10 be reinstalled?

aarelovich

I want to buy a Windows 8.1 Licence and upgrade to Windows 10. However from time to time, I need to format my PC and do a clean install (or I may just buy another PC). What I want to know is, If I do this, Will I be able to reinstall Windows 10 and use the 8.1 Licence? Or Will I then have to buy another Windows 10 Licence?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 8.1/ 7 licence sets what you can and cann't do but as a guide lets say you get a 8.1 pro msdn key from Microsoft, install it on a blank hdd in a new computer that you then upgrade to the free Windows 10... lets make this system use a Microsoft account for sign in and a homegroup.

1. When you upgraded to WX any programs come as well as the account name and for the most part this remains part of the old machine i.e counts as a single install for licence terms because it has (in practice) removed the old 8.1 in order to make a new 10.

2. The install works well with new hardware/ drivers and thats great but you now want a fresh install of WX because you hear people saying thats better eg, faster more stable etc so you make some blank space on one of your hdds and install the WX onto it without removing the other WX install... this MUST be on the same machine and the same type i.e pro for pro and home for home but apart from that it all goes well and you now have two WX installs on the same system... one upgrade with the old programs and one fresh mostly blank but they both work and are both activated.

To be clear, you can always make an image of both the upgrade and fresh installs for back ups on that machine with Acronis or whatever software floots your boat. Reguardless, this is a basic senario using only small words... the Microsoft terms carry over too most country laws and while if you live outside the US there may be differences its also clear that Microsoft has more clout than most country rulers so for the main part they will get their way.

At this point you may be able to install the first 8.1 key onto a different system if you have a multi licence but they are more money and for the most part not sold to people unless they have a shop or some kind of computer business so the more likly senario is that you just have a single licence and what are your options then?

1. You can make/ use the key to make with an image software for an exact 8.1 copy which will boot up on that machine... for back ups.

2. You can uninstall everything and then install that 8.1 key onto a different machine and start all over again... the key will want to phone home to Microsoft but this option is cover for you in case the motherboard packs it in two years down the road.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I found your answer kind of confusing. You seem to be addressing things that I'm not sure pertain to my problem. My question is simple. I get a new machine, do I need to buy Windows 10 or can I install (in the new machine) Windows 10 directly and I will be able to activate it, given that I have already bought the 8.1 licence? As far as I can tell, the answer is no (technically no one is sure, but this seems to be the concensus). If the MOBO changes, activation by phone may be required (according to Microsoft) and in my country, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it.

I want to buy a Windows 8.1 Licence and upgrade to Windows 10. However from time to time, I need to format my PC and do a clean install (or I may just buy another PC). What I want to know is, If I do this, Will I be able to reinstall Windows 10 and use the 8.1 Licence? Or Will I then have to buy another Windows 10 Licence?

When you upgrade the windows 8.1 licence basically becomes a Windows 10 one.

Microsoft have recently changed the activation rules but in your case what will happen is this.

You installed Windows 8.1 and activated it. This activation is now kept online at an 'activation database'. This means one can now perform a clean install (as long as it's on the same machine) and not have to input the activation key as it's already stored online.
Anyway back to your Windows 8.1 install. Ok so when you upgrade the windows 10 set up process will check online regarding your activation status and if your copy is activated and genuine then a Windows 10 licence is issued and stored in the same place as your other activation details.
You must upgrade first in order to get the free Win 10 which as i stated above will replace any Windows 8.1 licence.

Windows 10 Activation explained..

Edit:
Just to add that once the upgrade has been completed, the activation details will be logged online and you can perform a clean install of Windows 10 without having to input an activation key. Just keep pressing 'skip' and windows will activate automatically.

You installed Windows 8.1 and activated it. This activation is now kept online at an 'activation database'. This means one can now perform a clean install (as long as it's on the same machine) and not have to input the activation key as it's already stored online.
Anyway back to your Windows 8.1 install. Ok so when you upgrade the windows 10 set up process will check online regarding your activation status and if your copy is activated and genuine then a Windows 10 licence is issued and stored in the same place as your other activation details.

Oh, this I understad. What I don't understand is what happens when I upgrade my machine (basically I buy a new one). Will I be able to install Windows 10 on it?

Actually it looks like you can't transfer the upgrade. To install Windows 10 on a device means you either get the free upgrade by having windows 7 or 8.1 already installed or you buy a a fresh new copy of win 10. Once upgraded it's tied to that device only.

You can upgrade from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 and your windows will be activated, If you already have activated windows 8.1 professional, Otherwise your windows 10 will be trail version.
In this matter all you need is a Product key, Which through you'll activated your OS, Then you can reinstall your OS and activate it as you want.
Recently, I upgraded my windows 8.1 pro to windows 10, but my laptop become slow, So I format and install new windows 10 OS, Now I'm searching its product key for activation. Hope it will helpful for you.

Back