Registery Errors according to CCleaner

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by mightymilk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mightymilk

mightymilk New Member

i'm noticing a lot of Registry errors according to CCleaner. i'm guessing CCLeaner is not ment to run in Windows 7, but i'm wondering if these errors are actually errors, or if it's because CCleaner is not supported in 7 yet?

2. iroken22

iroken22 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

does it say that CCleaner is compatible with windows 7? If not then it is probably incompatible with windows 7 and therefore unreliable.

3. mightymilk

mightymilk New Member

that doesn't really make sense though. registry errors occur when the files they're linked too no longer appear on the hard-drive (either because they're been deleted or moved). i did a clean install, so there's no way that it's old entries looking for old removed or moved files.

anyone with a little background knowledge that could explain this to me?

4. bitumen

bitumen New Member

Crap Cleaner finds reqistry errors in all of the following "OS"'s. And clean's them out for me with No Issues reported by the "OS" or any other software.
    XP pro 32 bit,
    XP Pro 64 bit,
    Vista Business 32 bit,
    Vista Business 64 bit,
    Windows 7 (beta 7000)

5. FlyDutch

FlyDutch New Member

ccleaner and registry mechanic as well. over 300 errors and 130 couldn't be fixed. this was an hour after clean install and hardly any programs installed. :rolleyes:

6. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Yes, you're right, they don't work with Windows 7.

I've been hacking the registry since 1995 and I can tell you the registry stucture in Windows7 is very different.

These cleaners don't understand the new structure, that's why you're received all those error.

I highly recommend that nobody uses any type of registry cleaner/optimizer/ or registry defrag program untill these companies can provide Windows7 support.

7. intwtl

intwtl New Member

Crap Cleaner

I'm using CC on a clean install and find no registry problems.

The only con I am seeing is if the history box is checked in the IE section it takes longer to clean and a popup comes up to show it is deleting the IE history.

Other than that no problems yet.

8. kharmapolizei

kharmapolizei New Member

To seize the opportunity:
    I highly recommend not to use these tools in the first place, not matter the OS.
    Most of it is just voodoo, and the few things that actually work have a pretty good chance of messing things up. (Not to mention that registry cleaning, even if it does NOT mess anything up, has little effect on performance. As I said, it's just voodoo.
    That doesn't go for registry hacks, of course. For many purposes, there pretty handy or even the only way to do something since not even MS provides a GUI for all changes you might want to make)

9. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

No offense kharmapolizei, but it is a good idea to run registry cleaner because they remove left over entries from uninstalls. There are very few uninstallers that remove all remnants of the program. I use a free third-party program called Revouninstaller which does a very good job at removing registry entries and files that still exist on the system. You can download it here:
    Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

These cleaners use different algorithms to check the registry, that's why you get different results for different cleaners.

To protect yourself, always create a restore point before running any registry cleaner!!

10. roraniel

roraniel New Member

I second that. It is a very bad idea to use any type of registry cleaner. These things will dlete something critical eventually. Although CCleaner is an excellent tool to keep your drive clean of junk files (I use it myself) NO registry cleaner is anything more than snake oil (IMO).

I also use Revouninstaller. The thing I like most about it is the fact that it lets you selectively delete any traces it finds after the uninstall.

11. Pepper Wadlow Esq

Just as my octogeneric mentor would always dictate in haste ... Algorithims Schmalgorithisms! :mad:

12. Kylethedarkn

Kylethedarkn Senior Member

CCleaner found the usual registry errors it always finds for me. Although there are two system ones that are protected and can't be delted. So I wouldn't worry about it.