Windows 7 Registration Question regarding Windows 7

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
I'm wondering if anyone knows an answer to regarding the registration of Windows 7 when it's finally released October 22nd.

I built a new PC and was going to install a copy of Windows XP Pro and then upgrade to Windows 7 Business Pro when it came out. In fact I have already pre-purchased my copy of Windows 7 when the discounted limited time offer was made available. Instead of installing XP I installed Windows 7 pro RTM that was made available to me by a Technet subscriber that wasn't going to use his avaiable copy. What this Technet subscriber suggested was to not register Windows 7 RTM and keep rearming it until I get my retail copy. At that point it was suggested that I could simply use the License key that came with the retail copy and register the RTM version without having to reinstall Windows 7.

At this point I have Windows 7 running with a very limited suite of software installed but I would like to begin the process of moving software and data from my real day-to-day workhorse PC to my new PC. If I can use the retail key on the RTM I would start the migration process today but I'm concerned that if I do so, there will be some catch and I'll have to wipe the drive and install the retail copy anyway. Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to do this (use my retail key to register the installed RTM version)?

Hi Moondoggy,

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as the two copies of 7 are exactly the same..eg, If you've got the RTM version of Windows 7 Pro installed then make sure the key (which in essence is what your buying ) is for the exact same version of 7 namely windows 7 proffessional...not for ultimate or basic and it should ok..

Hi Moondoggy,

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as the two copies of 7 are exactly the same...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I failed to mention in my original post that I've installed the 64-bit Windows Business Pro version of the RTM and I've purchased the same version from Amazon.

I have a twist on the question..... The copy of Windows 7 that I ordered from Amazon.com is Windows 7 Professional Upgrade as my original plan was to install a spare copy of Windows XP Pro on my new system first. A person on another forum said that he didn't think that the upgrade license key will not work with the RTM since the RTM is the full version. Unless there is some way for Microsoft to detect between the two I don't know if this is true or not as you cannot upgrade from XP to Win7 without doing a full and complete install of 7 from the boot CD. Anyone have any thoughts?

To be honest I'm not sure.... If it was like for like I'd say no problem but there are differences here and perhaps the key would reflect that?

Back