Windows 7 Reinstalling: does all of C:\ get written over?

Commander_Cool

When reinstalling Windows 7, does all of the system drive get erased/formatted in the process (I think so) or only the C:\Windows folder and subfolders (which would have been ideal)?

I forget since last time. Thank you.

It will redo the partition so you will not be able to access anything.
You could try doing an inplace install which you do from the desktop this leaves programs an data inplace, but as always make sure any critical data is backed up.

It will redo the partition so you will not be able to access anything.
You could try doing an inplace install which you do from the desktop this leaves programs an data inplace, but as always make sure any critical data is backed up.

Hi

You can do a repair install of Windows 7.
It will replace the Windows directory but not erase the rest of the drive.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

If you have service pack one installed and you're disk doesn't include it, then you will need to download an ISO file for the version of Windows you have, and make a bootable disk using an application like Imagburn.

The Official ImgBurn Website

Official download links for Windows 7 SP1 ISO (32-bit and 64-bit)

Mike
Thanks helpifIcan and Mike; I'll go the 'repair' route first - I've never done that before. Thanks also for the critical-data-backup- and SP 1 ISO reminders.

I do have SP 1 installed and it would mean no end of updating the first week(s) after repairing if I hadn't been reminded about the ISO d/l.

I swear by ImgBurn - and isn't it great how many nifty freeware utilities and applications like that there are?

There's that, there's CCleaner, Defraggler, Speccy, AVIDemux, Audacity, IcoFX...it goes on and on. All unobtrusive little programs with small 'footprints' that do a lot. :D

I've used both CCleaner and Defraggler for years.
I love Defraggler because it will let you defragment specific files in just a few minutes.

When I do a video file that is many gigabytes in size it really makes a noticeable difference if I defrag it before I edit or run it.
So I do this a lot and I defrag the files I'm working on every day.

Mike

If the links still work you can download Windows 7 SP1 from Digital River. The links are here Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO ? Official Direct Download Links
Joe
Thx Joe, the link works and I'm downloading as I write this.
00 EnsignScrulu.jpg

I've used both CCleaner and Defraggler for years.
I love Defraggler because it will let you defragment specific files in just a few minutes.

When I do a video file that is many gigabytes in size it really makes a noticeable difference if I defrag it before I edit or run it.
So I do this a lot and I defrag the files I'm working on every day.
Mike
"I've used both CCleaner and Defraggler for years." Me too (so old my first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum;) I do some video editing too but hadn't thought to defrag the files. I can imagine that it's a good idea especially after some heavy editing w. changing scene sequence and such.
These third-party, open source utilities generally are a lot more accommodating "...Defraggler because it will let you defragment specific files..." than their MS counterparts and do more with less or no fanfare, so to speak.

Back