Windows 7 Remember each folder's view settings... gone for good?

kzen

Just migrated from XP to 7 and the first huge disappointment is the missing 'Remeber each folder's view settings' option.

7 just doesn't remember any window view/size/position settings appart from the last one used. One example... I like to have a folder with shortcuts on my desktop where I keep all my shortcuts in order to escape desktop clutter... I like this folder to not display navigation pane and to use tiles. In 7 when I set this folder up the way I like it all windows explorer windows that I open after that get the same view settings as this shortcuts folder which is definetly not what I want explorer windows to look like.
If I change windows explorer windows to display navigation pane and show files as a list and than open that shortcut folder again it takes that view, gone are the tiles, navigation pane is back.

Highly, highly annoying. I just cannot believe that they would remove such a useful productivity feature. If anyone has any idea of how to fix this or if there is some 3rd party tool out there that could solve this problem please share...

Similar issue here. I have dual monitors, so I like each different folder to open in the same location each time, and several are different. XP was good for that, but lost it in windows 7.

Did you find any solution to your problem?

Just migrated from XP to 7 and the first huge disappointment is the missing 'Remeber each folder's view settings' option.

7 just doesn't remember any window view/size/position settings appart from the last one used. One example... I like to have a folder with shortcuts on my desktop where I keep all my shortcuts in order to escape desktop clutter... I like this folder to not display navigation pane and to use tiles. In 7 when I set this folder up the way I like it all windows explorer windows that I open after that get the same view settings as this shortcuts folder which is definetly not what I want explorer windows to look like.
If I change windows explorer windows to display navigation pane and show files as a list and than open that shortcut folder again it takes that view, gone are the tiles, navigation pane is back.

Highly, highly annoying. I just cannot believe that they would remove such a useful productivity feature. If anyone has any idea of how to fix this or if there is some 3rd party tool out there that could solve this problem please share...

There is a certain limit on the amount of folders that can be remembered.

I'll try to locate the registry hack.

It could be linked to the way windows 7 is used, and the customisation applied. I found that setting up a window and holding ctrl whilst closing, the reopening and selecting Tools - Folder options - View - Apply to all folders., worked for me. Might work for you guys.One thing is for sure, Desktop.in will do nothing for the size settings.

Copy and paste the following inro Notepad, choosse All Fles from the drop-dowen menu,. save the file as savesetting.reg You have to manually type in the .reg extensionn Make sure you save the file in ANSI format.

Now double cjkick in the file to merge it into the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

MS Breaks unbroken features

MS is full of idiots. They broke or removed a feature that was not causing problems anywhere for anyone. I can understand fixing real problems but remember folder settings was never broken. I have been trying to solve this issue for a while now with no success.

The registry hack suggested above does not work.

I will be moving to MAC as I replace my computers in the next few years,. This year I converted my Lenovo to a Hackintosh and all I can say is OS X 10.6 rocks. It makes W7 look like a fledgling OS. 40 years later and Bill still cannot produce a quality OS and User Interface.

Buy MAC any you can avoid all of these issues.

Sad really that MS still has not figured out what the meaning of Software Tester is nor have they found one that knows what they are doing.

MS is full of idiots. They broke or removed a feature that was not causing problems anywhere for anyone. I can understand fixing real problems but remember folder settings was never broken..

It's not broken here...or on any machine I've been on. It always saves my settings. Perhaps when you migrated XP it reset something.

Have you run

SFC /scannow

from a command prompt to fix anything xp may have modified? ...then rebooted and tested?

Try this script:
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]
@="Shell32.dll,31"
"Full"="Shell32.dll,32"
"Empty"="Shell32.dll,31"

To increase the limitation of folder view,. try this script:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000]/quote]

I had this problem and I figured out what it was. Windows 7 introduced that new library feature. At least I believe it wasn't in vista. Either way, the library only remember a view type for the library as a whole so you can only have one view type for "pictures" library and so on. Once I went to my pictures directly and tried changing multiple folders to different view types it saved them all. Although it would reset them all if you went back to library "pictures" and changed it once. I just decided to delete the library thing since it seems like a useless feature if you keep everything of a type in one location anyway.

Geeze, its broken here and on all of our new computers running 7. I want to display my photographs in thumbnails (now missing from the view menu) and my documents in detail format. Seems I can only have one or the other. Very sad, and dysfunctional!

Geeze, its broken here and on all of our new computers running 7. I want to display my photographs in thumbnails (now missing from the view menu) and my documents in detail format. Seems I can only have one or the other. Do other people still have the "thumbnail" option available on the view menu?

Try this. Type Folder Options in search box. Open folder options on View Tab. Make sure Show Icons, Not Thumbnails is not checked:

ShowIconsNotThumbnails.jpg

If this is checked you will not see thumbnails.

Note: vijer, why not just switch now and save us all from your miseries.

Mine all stay as set, too.

One should never upgrade from XP to 7. Can do that from Vista to 7 but, not from XP.

And, as I said in another thread... if the name owner folder is used in stead of Libraries, specific, individual changes & chioces can be made AND they hold.

Last edited:
Th thread is very old. Maybe the problem has resolved itself in updates or SP1 over the past twp years.
After his single post, lol, perhaps vijer did do the favour and change to Mac.
In my case. I do have the same "problem". Ticking the "no thumbnails" option is global on my installation and, then viewing a photo folder, only shows me, as selected, icons.
At the time, I did try the publicised fix, as in Reghakrs old post, but that did nothing. It is quite simple to open a viewer of your choice, if you want to see pictures, so (imo) I have not considered the options since.
I have disabled libraries.

Izzy, I think you may have the solution to my problem. I am going to try getting my folders OUT of the Library and just onto the hard drive as before and see if I can have pictures in folders displayed as thumbnails and everything else as detail. Thanks!

Pam

google autosizer.exe ... it allow win 7 to remember a folder's size and position along with several other options.

Back