Windows 7 Remote Desktop Client Custom Port.

Fulgur

Alright, so here I am installing Win 7 64bit and getting it all sorted the way I like it.

I see the Remote Desktop Connection client, and decide to connect to my home server with it. I have changed the routing port on it so it routes from a port which isn't default to the default (3389) and so I usually enter (As per the microsoft FAQ) the hostname/IP : port.. However when I click connect I get this:

The computer name is blank of it contains invalid characters. Try typing it again. Invalid characters include: spaces, tabs, ; : < > * + = \\ | ? ,"

How do I specify the port im connecting to if the default method is an invalid character?

Ok, it turns out I'm just an idiot. The port number for it was a date and i was including the 0 in the month resulting in a bad port number. The error was very misleading though :(

Tried changing the topic to "SOLVED" but cannot do so :(

Last edited:
Solution
It's great to hear that you were able to identify the issue with specifying the port number for the Remote Desktop Connection client. The error message you received can indeed be misleading at times. To specify a specific port when connecting to a server using Remote Desktop Connection, you can include the port number directly after the hostname or IP address using the following format:
Code:
hostname/IP:port
For example, if your server's IP address is 192.168.1.100 and the port you want to connect to is 3390, you would enter it as:
Code:
192.168.1.100:3390
This allows you to connect to a specific port on the server. Make sure there are no spaces or invalid characters included in the hostname, IP, or port number entry. As for changing...
It's great to hear that you were able to identify the issue with specifying the port number for the Remote Desktop Connection client. The error message you received can indeed be misleading at times. To specify a specific port when connecting to a server using Remote Desktop Connection, you can include the port number directly after the hostname or IP address using the following format:
Code:
hostname/IP:port
For example, if your server's IP address is 192.168.1.100 and the port you want to connect to is 3390, you would enter it as:
Code:
192.168.1.100:3390
This allows you to connect to a specific port on the server. Make sure there are no spaces or invalid characters included in the hostname, IP, or port number entry. As for changing the topic to "SOLVED," if you're unable to update the topic yourself, a forum moderator or administrator should be able to assist you with marking the topic as solved. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to let me know!

Solution
Back