Windows 7 Remote Desktop not working

elmo61

I can't seem to be able to remote desktop into my windows 7 pc.
i have set my router to aim port 3333 at it,
i have changed the port in the regedit to port 3333 on the win7 pc

i have turned on remote connections and added the user i want,

but it still fails to connect any ideas?

right that totally not the expected answer, why would i use a third party app when remote connection is the best if it works :p

have you used forums before. the reason i am here is beacause im asking for help to solve it.

right that totally not the expected answer, why would i use a third party app when remote connection is the best if it works :p
You also have to look at what you are using the application for. If it is for remote support and not for just accessing your computer at home then teamviewer should be your choice. However if you do it the other way around then Remote Desktop Connection is ur choice.

Have you tried using the default port of 3398 to see if it works through that?

yes i have tried default port, tried it locally and on net as well. nothing seems to want to work.

(and not that it matters but yes its just for accessing my home pc)

yes i have tried default port, tried it locally and on net as well. nothing seems to want to work.

(and not that it matters but yes its just for accessing my home pc) - its not so much that i need remote desktop as im not using windows 7 as my main pc, im simply testing windows 7, and was woundering if anyone else had tried using remote connection

I have tried remote desktop connection and have successfully connected to other pcs. Is your firewall disabled? Do you have a firewall on your router?

You also have to look at what you are using the application for. If it is for remote support and not for just accessing your computer at home then teamviewer should be your choice. However if you do it the other way around then Remote Desktop Connection is ur choice.

Have you tried using the default port of 3398 to see if it works through that?

Doesn't 3389 (not 3398) the remote desktop port ?:confused:

You are correct, it is port 3389. Windows 7 will default to Network Level Authentication which can sometimes have problems with XP. Have you tried setting it to the standard run level?

Have you set your remote desktop "server" to allow connections from all versions of remote desktop?

I set that option on, and could rdesktop from another machine on my network immediately

I had to allow remote desktop through the built in firewall but other than that it works fine. I just tried connecting with my phone and it worked fine.

Have you set your remote desktop "server" to allow connections from all versions of remote desktop?

I set that option on, and could rdesktop from another machine on my network immediately

Hi how do you do this? I am having a problem with remote desktop on win7. For troubleshooting I have disabled the windows firewall for all profiles and under windows firewall settings I have the remote desktop option turned on and to allow all connections. Network sharing works fine on win7 and I can ping the win7 box.

Hi guy
1)RDP needs port 3389 not 3398 - not sure if that was just a typo on your post.
2) allow your client machine to use RDP (you might need to set something in your firewall / AV software on the client machine).
3) Your Remote machine MUST have a USER and PASSWORD for RDP to work.
4) I assume your remote machine is configured to allow remote access - check its firewalls etc as well.
5) If your remote machine is on your local LAN say address 192.168.2.2 then you need to set your Router to port forward 3389 to your lan address 192.168.2.2

If you are using the "public" internet either from a Wifi spot or a corporate LAN you have to ensure port 3389 is open and available. If it isn't you can use Putty and "Tunnel" but that's another topic -- google for it as it's a bit more complex to set up and deserves another post --not specifically Windows 7 related.

Incidentally you can use things like no-ip to get a FREE domain name for your remote machine so if it's on a dynamic IP address no problems.

Cheers
jimbo

Needs 3389? Is there no way to change the port? It works in XP and Vista, seems like there should be a way to change the port if for no other reason than security.

Anyone know if there is any documentation on this?

BTW, I did get it to work fine w/ 3389, but obviously haven't been able to change to a different port successfully, not that I havent tried.

one solution is to use tunnelling with putty. Google for this. Then you can use another port to "tunnel" 3389.
Otherwise try this method for the REMOTE computer

How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop

After you've done this don't forget on the Client computer you'll have to include the new port number when using RDP
for example on the RDP prompt screen enter xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy where xxx is the ip address of the remote computer as seen by the Internet and yyyy the new port number (or domain name such as mycomputer.athome.net:yyyy where yyyy is the new port number).

cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
I was having the same problem, only I could not RDP to a Win2k3 server from my Win7 machine. After running updates and disabling A/V, it works.

Back
Top Bottom