Windows 7 Remote Desktop not working

Although the OP hasn't come back for a bit on the problem, I'd like to point out the usefulness of a little program called nMap.

Nmap - Free Security Scanner For Network Exploration & Security Audits. is where you get it from.

This is a Security port scanner which can be used to determine open ports on a machine. Once you download it, have it target your machine supposedly running RDP by browsing to it in a cmd.exe prompt, and typing: nmap -sS <ip: 192.168.0.101>

Hit enter and let it do its thing. The -sS stands for scanSyn, which is simply a method of determining what services are running on the target. By default I think it scans ports 1-1024 in a random order. You can specify a port using the -p switch (nmap -sS 192.168.0.101 -p 3389 for example) to only target a single port to.

It's an extremely useful app, props to Fyodor and those at insecure.org for this awesome prog. Learn to use it and network diagnosis will become so much easier.

Remote desktop ports change

I have changed the remote desktop port through registry on my win7 machine to 3391 as I have one of my XP stations running 3389 and that is already forwarded in my router. Changing the port number has worked in the past on XP and then you can connect to that station by typing host:3391 it to the RDP client. It seems after I have changed the port on win7 and rebooted, it will still only connects with port 3389. This doesnt work for me from external connections as I cant have multiple machines on that same port ... anyone else experience this or know a fix ??

ms shows how to change the listening port here and the registry values appear to be the same in win7 and xp under this key unless you have to make a change in a new location in win7:
How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop

I have changed the remote desktop port through registry on my win7 machine to 3391 as I have one of my XP stations running 3389 and that is already forwarded in my router. Changing the port number has worked in the past on XP and then you can connect to that station by typing host:3391 it to the RDP client. It seems after I have changed the port on win7 and rebooted, it will still only connects with port 3389. This doesnt work for me from external connections as I cant have multiple machines on that same port ... anyone else experience this or know a fix ??

ms shows how to change the listening port here and the registry values appear to be the same in win7 and xp under this key unless you have to make a change in a new location in win7:
How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop

I have the same problem. Default port 3389 works, but once I change it to any other port on the W7 machine, I cannot RDC into it. I run 4 machines behind a router at home and used to be able to RDC into all of them simultaneously. Now if I upgrade them to W7, I will have a huge problem because they all want port 3389.

I've been struggling with Remote Desktop as well. I have two other "remote" programs that work instantly in Windows 7.
Remote Assistant ($100) and TeamViewer (free). No muss, no fuss, no bother.

It should be an embarassment to Microsoft that 3rd party folks have it down pat and they just make life complicated.
And heaven forbid they should publish a clear step by step tutorial, covering all the possible problems and how to correct them.

I was having a problem with this initially too. My work network blocks port 3389 so I have to change what port I use to connect to my PC at home, but I also have 3 other PCs I like to access too so I have to change the port on the rest of them and set up port forwarding to their corresponding IPs on my router anyways. I just built a new i7 system and am running Win7 64-bit as my primary OS on it for now. In order to get RDT to work with my custom port, I had to add an exception in the Windows Firewall for my custom port. Even if I disabled Windows firewall, it was still being blocked, so I tried that as a last resort and it worked :D. I'm typing this on my home PC from work! Hope this is your all's solution as well.

Remote Desktop Stopped Working

I have been using Windows 7 Professional since Feb with Beta. I installed RTM when I got it at my work through Product Assurance Program. It has been working just fine since it came out in August. Last week it just stopped responding outside my home. I can connect to it on my home network but not outside anymore. Nothing that I know of has changed and I have not changed my router or firewall setup. I have disabled my TrendMicro Internet Security and still same problem. I have checked and the setting in REMOTE CONNECTIONS" is set to allow and to allow any computer to connect. Windows Updates don't show anything has applied since August some time which is long before my outside connections quit.

I am open to suggestions PLease!​

I have just found out today that with Windows 7 once you disbale the firewall remote desktop will not work, the firewall(windows) must be enabled before remote desktop will work

this is the opposite to windwos XP pretty strange

i have not yet found a soultion to this as in our coperate workplace we need the firewall to be turned off.

I was having a problem with this initially too. My work network blocks port 3389 so I have to change what port I use to connect to my PC at home, but I also have 3 other PCs I like to access too so I have to change the port on the rest of them and set up port forwarding to their corresponding IPs on my router anyways. I just built a new i7 system and am running Win7 64-bit as my primary OS on it for now. In order to get RDT to work with my custom port, I had to add an exception in the Windows Firewall for my custom port. Even if I disabled Windows firewall, it was still being blocked, so I tried that as a last resort and it worked :D. I'm typing this on my home PC from work! Hope this is your all's solution as well.

I can confirm what the poster says above is true. I have been having the same remote desktop issues since I changed the port and now after creating a custom rule I don't :)

Here's a quick 'n' dirty rundown:

Go to Windows Firewall -> Advanced Settings (lefthand side of screen) -> Inbound Rules -> New Rule
Click on Port and then click on next, Leave TCP checked and put your customer port in Specific Local Port, click Next, Next and give your new rule a suitable name and finally click Finish and you're done!

Mike

This did not work for me. I changed the port number in registry and I port forward it in my router. Also added the custom inbound rule in windows firewall. RDP still does not work (I had no problems when using winXP seems to be win7 issue). I'm currently using "Allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop". It only works with the default 3389. What am I missing? :(

This did not work for me. I changed the port number in registry and I port forward it in my router. Also added the custom inbound rule in windows firewall. RDP still does not work (I had no problems when using winXP seems to be win7 issue). I'm currently using "Allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop". It only works with the default 3389. What am I missing? :(

I think I got it working. I lowered the port number and it worked. I guess it didn't like port numbers higher than 49000

hello. i am having the same problem.

i've allowed for remote desktop on the system properties.
i've checked the remote desktop in the firewall
i'm port forwarding 3389 to the remote pc

when i connect to it from another pc on the same LAN, i am able to connect.

however, when i try to remote connect using the IP my ISP has given me, it will not connect.

I've successfully done this with XP PRO, but i'm having trouble with Windows 7.
please help!

Back