Windows 10 Remote Desktop stopped working all of a sudden for no reason

FireMarshalBill69

I have been connecting to my Windows 10 Enterprise machine at work since the beginning of April and have been using it without any issues ever since then. It is my dedicated workstation that nobody else ever uses. All of a sudden, today, twice, it disconnected after which I had to get someone there to go over and reboot before it worked. Now, this has happened again for the third time today. In fact, I was working all morning without issues. This started happening around lunch time. And, now that there is no one at the office, I have not been able to get it rebooted. So, in effect, no settings have been changed on the machine. Unless there was an update today that I am not aware of. And, it is DEFINITELY NOT a change in group policy as we are required to connect using RDP protocol.

Any ideas as I need to use this machine come Monday.

MS RDP has been plagued with issues since its's conception. I would look for a 3rd party software for remote access....something like Teamviewer. That said...windows 10 has a new nice feature called Quick Assist.

Yes, I am connected over VPN.

Anyway, I observed that all Remote Protocol and associated services were on Manual. Changed them to Automatic - so far, rock solid! Hoping this is the fix.

MS RDP has been plagued with issues since its's conception. I would look for a 3rd party software for remote access....something like Teamviewer. That said...windows 10 has a new nice feature called Quick Assist.
Yes, I have been using QA and Teamviewer, as well, but things such as copy and paste to remote machine don't work. Also, my remote machine is unattended. So, those won't work. Plus, I don't like the way they display. RDP displays all monitors just as if I was sitting at my desk. As I have posted elsewhere, I have resolved it - I think!

Sorry, Neemobeer, my euphoria was premature. It happened again today, though the services I had set to Automatic remained as is. So, that is not where the problem lies.

Turned out that it was a Windows update that screwed me over - SURPRISE!! Anyway, without pulling out any more hair, I simply rolled back my system restore point to the beginning of the month because I knew I did not have this problem then! Miraculously, it fixed the issue. Of course, I am delighted! After all, who the hell has hours in a day looking for a needle in a haystack, after all existing possible solutions have been thrashed over?

Thanks to everyone who chipped in. I have it fixed!!!! But, in an unorthodox way.

Back