Windows 10 Remove notification from System Tray

RodBarnes

Extraordinary Member
After searching and finding a few articles on this -- and then trying the solutions (e.g., Notifications Area Icon Reset) and they failed -- I've been unable to remove a particular notification icon. It doesn't appear in the tray but it does appear in the list of notifications -- specifics listed below.

Running Windows 10 Pro x64.

The attached image is a shot from the notifications list presented from "Notification area: [Customize...]" from the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties". However, this program "SpeedFan" has been long-ago uninstalled and the icon does not appear in the tray itself. I've searched the registry for "speedfan" and found nothing so I'm not sure where this is hiding.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-27_9-52-57.png
    upload_2015-11-27_9-52-57.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 381
Hi

Speed fan is a computer monitoring program, it will show the temperatures of components etc.
I'm not sure that turning it off at startup will make the entry disappear or not, but if you don't use it, it can probably be uninstalled.

But it's not a bad idea to look at it, write down the info or make a image of it and store it away for comparison at a later date.
You will see if things are running correctly or temps are going up etc.

I use Cupid HWMonitor for the same purpose.
I found out that my Cooler had sprung a leak and was running my temps to high.

You can also find and manage your startup items from CCleaner if you use it.

Mike

@kemical & @MikeHawthorne -- Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand your comments. As originally stated, SpeedFan is no longer on this system -- hasn't been for a couple months at least. I'm not asking what SpeedFan; I know that -- I installed it at one time to try and control my fans -- it didn't work on my MB, so I uninstalled it. FileSeek confirms SpeedFan is no where on my system -- and it is not in the Startup folder. I'm not trying to get rid of SpeedFan -- it is gone. The issue is that the notification entry still exists and I cannot find a means to remove it.

You could have a look in the registry, and , if you see it, delete it. OIt's here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
Delete the "Iconstream" and the pasticons stream, if there is one.
Log out and in again, or restart the computer
or
CCleaner, is a free universal cleaning program. In its many options, one is to clean the notification cache.

Before proceeding, in both cases, I would suggest you export the registry first (just in case!)

Last edited:
Hi

CCleaner will give you the opportunity to to back up your registry when you ask it to do the repairs.
I missed the part about Speed Fan already being uninstalled.

There's a good chance that CCleaner will fix the problem, I've run it for years in many versions of Windows everyone I know uses it, and I never had anyone report problems with it.

I always run it after uninstalling software and it always finds something left behind.

Mike

You could have a look in the registry, and , if you see it, delete it. OIt's here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
Delete the "Iconstream" and the pasticons stream, if there is one.
Log out and in again, or restart the computer
or
Cleaner, is a free universal cleaning program. In its many options, one is to clean the notification cache.

Before proceeding, in both cases, I would suggest you export the registry first (just in case!)

Back
Top Bottom