Windows 7 Remove the 'organize, include in library, new folder' bar in windows 7

HeavenTonight

Hey guys. I've always wondered, is it possible to remove the 'organize, include in library, new folder' bar that is present on all windows explorer windows? I have attached a screenshot jpg of what it looks like in windows 7 under the classic view scheme. I have highlighted the problem bar in a red outline.

I find this bar very annoying because it was never present in windows xp, and I would rather have more viewable space in the window than have this useless bar there at all times. All of the options that it presents are available somewhere else so no functionality is lost.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 280
That bar is intended as the primary user interface and it is where you get access to turning the menu on or off. There is probably a way to disable it with a registry edit, but you risk locking yourself out. If you really want to get rid of it, look at third party "skin" software that lets you customize the user interface.

Huzzah! I got something almost as good as removing it to work. I used a program called 'Resource Hacker' to modify shellstyle.dll found in the system 32 folder. I added the following line <Element padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,-28rp)"/> which I put after the existing line <style resid="FolderBandStyle"> and re-compiled the .dll file. Restarted computer and it worked, it basically hides the command bar text completely and almost hides the actual bar itself except for a very small amount of space where you can still hover your mouse over the buttons to get a pop-up description of them.

Back