Windows 7 Remove the Windows Power Menu Button (arrow) Windows 7

Takarta07

I am configuring a computer that will be hooked into a video conference system and needs to be on all the time. This pc has a special local user account, so we dont want anyone logging out, or switching user. we also don't want the computer to be locked, hibernate, sleep, or shutdown. I switched the power button to 'Restart' (computer automatically logs into user account). However, I am wondering if there is a way in the registry, or some other message, to delete the arrow, power button menu so the user has no other option besides RESTART?

28be3qg.jpg

Thanks for your quick response. However, these options do not tackle the problem I am proposing. I have done those previously but it still leaves "Switch user, lock, hibernate" and the powerbutton is overridden (no matter where I change it) to "Logoff" when I change the config (Especially in the group policy editor)
I want to completely disable or remove the arrow

Open an elevated command prompt. Copy/paste this command to it then hit enter to disable hibernation:

Code:
powercfg -h off
Then in the start menu, type services.msc and hit enter.

Disable Secondary Logon service.

This won't completely solve your issues but you'll be getting somewhere.

Hi all,

Any more ideas for this? I need to have only the restart option available and so far have only been able to eliminate Switch user, Log off and Sleep. I can't get rid of Lock and Shut down.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Laura

To remove Lock option, you need to create a registry key.

Since modifying the registry improperly may cause damage to the system, please follow the steps below to back up the registry key:

1. Click Start, click Run, input "REGEDIT" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3. Right click on . Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

To remove Shutdown:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7553/remove-shutdown-and-restart-buttons-in-windows-7/

After backuping the registry, try the following:

1. Navigate to the following key:
2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, create a new DWORD value named DisableLockWorkstation and set value to 1.

Save the settings, you will see the option turns gray.

To disable Sleep option:

Open gpedit.msc and go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Power Management>Sleep Settings Enable "Turn Off Hybrid Sleep"
Disable "Allow Standby States (S1-S3) when sleeping"

Thanks, zvit. I have done both of those. I still can't get rid of shutdown on the power button. It's maddening! We have computers locked in cabinets in remote areas and really need to figure out a way to prevent users from shutting computers off.

Laura

lol If they wanted to shut them off, all they'd have to do is pull the plug. I wouldn't worry about this so much. Even if/when it's figured out, it isn't going to do much at all in the way of prevention.

Try it with a registry hack:
Remove Shutdown Options From Windows 7 Start Menu | Windows 7 Customization | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

Maybe if you remove it from the login screen, it will be removed from Windows as well. Here's how:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

To prevent someone from pulling out the plug, like TorrentG mentioned, you can glue it to the wall socket and to the computer with the world's strongest glue:
World's Strongest Glue Found Stuck to River Rocks - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

Back