Windows 7 Removing Vista partition...with a twist

skot0123

I have searched the trheads and have found similar questions but I have a somewhat unique problem, I think.

I had originally used Vista and then signed up for the W7 Beta. I installed it on a partition of my HD and set up dual boot. Sometime afterwards I tried to use an online data storage program and was greeted with the BSOD on Vista. After 1 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support we were finally able to get Vista to boot again. During this I was still able to boot via W7 though. Also during this time a gremlin found its way into my DVD RW drive and it has ceased to work (I believe to be software related). Since then I have again tried to use online backups and found the same problem as before. I haven't figured out what has caused that and gave up on fixing it and began using W7 as my main OS.

What I would like to do is remove Vista from my system all together and begin using W7 Beta alone. I have been running into some problems with storage space and would like to get rid of the Vista partition. The twist is that I don't have a DVD drive as it not only stopped burning but also stopped reading CDs or DVDs.

Is there a way to remove the Vista partition without a DVD to boot from from for W7?

Thanks and my apologies for potentially redundant question...I use this computer for work and am really scared that I am going to fry it and not have a way to recover since I have no dvd drive.

I guess the easy answer would be that I don't know what that means or what it entails. Sorry, I may be in a little above my head here.

After doing a little research I understand a litle more about what you are talking about. My main question with this would be, will I be able to boot normally using W7 if I format the hard drive. Currently my partitions are as such:

Drive C: Status- Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
Drive G: Status- Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Logical Drive)
Drive I: Status- Healthy (Primary Partition)

I'm not sure what the above means specifically but thought it may help describe what I have. Drive G is the drive with W7 on it and Drive C is the one with Vista.

Last edited:
Back