Windows 7 Removing windows 7 so can install on new machine

Prettygrim

hi all. wonder if someone can offer advice please?
atm i dual boot XP and windows 7 Ultimate (full retail, not OEM). i want to remove 7 from my machine so i can install it on a new machine. have read various posts how to do that, but the posts are all old and a bit of messing about involved. i dont want to mess up so what i wondered was if i used windows 7 manager to change 1st boot option to XP, then formatted the partition (same hdd as XP) that has 7 on it, would that save all the messing about trying to repair boot failures in XP and the boot option screen, making XP boot correctly? i could then format the old partition where 7 was afterwards.

tnx for any help given

tnx for reply, patcooke. do i follow the steps i said in forst post, ie boot into xp, format win7 partition, reboot machine with easybootcd disk in drive, follow your steps? not used it before, so idiot-proof info would be great, please

Shouldn't need boot cd (but it's always handy to have one!). Make the changes to install the boot loader for XP from within the op sys and reboot should take you straight into XP.

tnx for further info. got to wait for couple other bits to arrive, then will try to follow instructions. appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom