Windows 10 Renaming video file properties according to file name

GordinhoOF

Hi and thanks for looking at my post. I have no experience whatsoever about automating tasks in Windows but I have a huge task at hand currently and so I feel automating it is the only solution. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a huge collection of movie files on my NAS (Z:\Movies). Each file is stored in a individual folder, which is already named with the movie title (e.g. Z:\Movies\12 Angry Men (1957)). I need to copy this folder name (e.g. 12 Angry Men (1957)) and go into this folder to open the "Properties" of the file (e.g. "12 Angry Men (1957).mp4) on tab "Details" and copy the title (e.g. "12 Angry Men (1957)")to the fields "Title" and "Comments". This needs to be repeated for all video files in each folder.

Can anybody help with coming up with a script to do that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I was able to do that using MP3Tag:

I clicked the "Change Directory" button to go to the directory containing the folders.

Then, I selected all of the files listed and clicked the "Tag - Tag" button.

For the field, I chose "TITLE"

and for the format string, I entered

%_directory%

I clicked the OK button, and it copied the folder name to the title field of the metadata.

I repeated the process for the field "COMMENT".

If you want to try this, copy a few folders to an empty directory and experiment on those to see if it works.

Last edited:
I was able to do that using MP3Tag:

I clicked the "Change Directory" button to go to the directory containing the folders.

Then, I selected all of the files listed and clicked the "Tag - Tag" button.

For the field, I chose "TITLE"

and for the format string, I entered

%_directory%

I clicked the OK button, and it copied the folder name to the title field of the metadata.

I repeated the process for the field "COMMENT".

If you want to try this, copy a few folders to an empty directory and experiment on those to see if it works.
Thank you. I will give this a try.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply. I was offline for some days because of my internet service provider.

Back