Windows 10 Repair Install Windows 10!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything!

After looking through this it doesn't seem to show the option to not lose anything the way that I thought it did when I looked at it a few days ago, it does use the work Apps, not programs.

I thought that I did see an option that actually said install without losing anything or something to that effect, so now i'm not sure whether this actually will do that or not.

Logically it would seem that an in-place upgrade would keep all of your stuff, just as upgrading from Windows 8 or 7 would but I really don't know for sure.

Maybe someone else here has some input about this?

Mike

Last edited:
Step 13 does say keep all personal files and apps.
I guess the only thing is to determine if they are talking about only MS apps from the store or if this includes your own installed programs
This is one of the problems with apps VS programs are they using the same terminology to describe both or not?

Hi

Maybe someone who needs to do a reinstall, will try this and let us know if it does indeed save everything.

My computer is running great and I don't want to mess with it.

Mike

I did it on my small test system and it work well - but on my system with my configuration. You know what to do first than...

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Well if it does work it's a big step forward in reviving a messed up computer.

When I ran Windows 7, I did this once in a while just to get my system running like a fresh install again.

Mike

Yes that was a time saver compared to wiping and reloading all the programs, maybe not quite as good as a wipe but did help.

I too need clarification on this as I have read contradictory statements in different places. I am probably going to re-install soon as the only way to deal with the November update bug, which has trashed many apps, including the Store. I have seen it said that a repair install using the Media Creation Tool will: (1) keep all Microsoft apps and all third-party programs, or (2) will only keep all Microsoft apps, or (3) will only keep all third-party programs. Which of these three statements is the true one?

Also can someone advise on this related point please? I now have many of my apps and many of my programs on my D drive, which is an integral SD Memory Card, as C is a small capacity SDD. Will these be left unaffected by the repair install? If so, it will be beneficial for me to transfer whatever I can from C to D.

There may be no concrete answer at this time, so you need to protect your self.
1. Backup your registry and copy it to external media
2. Image you OS drive so you can revert back to what you have if bad things happen.
If you follow the link in post 1 and follow it's directions you PROBABLY will be OK

In post 5 of this thread it APPEARS to work successfully.

To clarify, it was on a tiny small AcerOne with 1M memory. I did a reinstall of W10; I selected not to save my apps, because they were damaged.
And that worked without trouble.

Hope to see more results because one success is hardly a base to advice it to other people.
Henk

Btw W10 on that old small netbook from the XP days works amazingly well....

Good advice helpifican ---a backup image of a faulty Windows 10 would be better than no OS.

I am clear now that a phrase like

repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything ---- is wrong and misleading

All that will be kept is Store apps and personal files, not third part programs which is what I mainly have. In addition I have learned that I will lose many drivers which will have to be re-installed (more than a dozen) and I guess that I will lose my Desktop Gadgets too.

So my reluctance to try a repair install seems justified, though with no word from Microsoft about a fix, after two months, it looks like the only solution now.

"Also can someone advise on this related point please? I now have many of my apps and many of my programs on my D drive, which is an integral SD Memory Card, as C is a small capacity SDD. Will these be left unaffected by the repair install? If so, it will be beneficial for me to transfer whatever I can from C to D."

Hi

My experience is that a reinstall never effects drives other then the one that you are reinstalling to.

That's pretty much why I only have Windows on my C:\ drive.

I can do anything I want to it, and not have to worry about my other stuff.

That doesn't mean that all your software installed on other drives will run after the installation.

Some will and some won't and will need to be reinstalled.
It's been my experience that most (bit not all) games will run but other software is iffy.

Most MMOs will auto repair connections and not have any problems, others will have registry entries that will keep the program from running until a reinstall replaces them.

If you have pure data on your C:\ drive, i.e. music, photos, documents etc. then you should move them to your D:\ drive.

Mike

Last edited:
One of the things on this subject I wonder about is the fact that MS can do a full update of the OS and not touch any thing but the OS.
Maybe down the line they will release a way for us to the same with an existing ISO on DVD or USB key.

Hi

You really could to that in Windows 7.

I often did what was called a repair install just to get my computer cleaned up and running like new again.
When you got done it would be like a clean install visually back to all the basic settings etc.

You would have to reset all your preferences time zones etc just like a new install along with desktop graphics etc, but all you software still worked and your data was all untouched.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

Mike

I did repair installs in XP and Windows 7. I got involved with slipstreaming in XP to have an up to date disk. Window 7 was more difficult because nobody made update packs to integrate simply like they did for XP.
Joe

Back