Windows 7 "Repair your computer" option using F8 key is missing

qamarmiqdad

my machine is bootable and WIN7 starts without any problems.
My Problem is I'd like create "System Reserved" to boot from this partition using F8 key and "Repair your computer" instead of booting from the CD boot disk.

I've already tried to boot with a Windows Repair CD, I've done "Startup Repair", but "System Reserved" won't be created.

I can create this partition manually, but how to configure WIN7 to boot from this partition using F8 key?

Titanic is correct that you do not need a Special partition to hold the Recovery files. On your system, you should have a hidden, system folder called Recovery, that contains the necessary files.

If you have the folder, you can start by opening an Administrative command prompt and typing the command reagentc /info to see if your system is enabled. You can also run reagentc /disable and then reagentc /enable to turn on the recovery options. If you run the info command again and it still does not mention enabled and show an entry for the BCD Store you may have to set it up yourself. Make sure and put a space before the /.

In by listing, I have the Windows Recovery and OEM type recovery options enabled. Check it against yours and we are looking at the first section

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info
Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\ba9d7910-e2cd-11e2-8073-94be720ea6b4
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: ba9d7910-e2cd-11e2-8073-94be720ea6b4

Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage
Recovery image index: 1
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Last edited:
Thanks Salatgrass,
i got solution from you as a i have been discussing this issue for 10 days.the best option to boot the system without any external source is the command you suggested me.so,those systems which do not give the recovery option at startup actually not enabled with recovery environment.
so if did not enable recovery environment and my windows get corrupted, in such case i can not get startup recovery option without external source? is it right.
thanks again..,

Windows 7 has never used a separate partition for the recovery environment condition. All the files are in the C: partition, and if it becomes corrupted, depending on how it becomes corrupted, you may even loose the ability to boot to it without the external media.

Windows 8 did start putting a Recovery Partition on the system which should, assuming it is usable after some event, will allow you to boot to the Recovery environment even if the OS partition is corrupted, such as in a virus infection.

If you wanted to add a Recovery partition to your system, we could do that and set it up, but changing the drive configuration on a current install could be dangerous and you might loose the install anyway. If you wanted to start with a new install, the recovery partition could be added up front by setting up the partitions yourself prior to installing the OS.

My preference is to always use the external media. I only use the installed one for convenience or the external media is not available. A situation where the external media is not available does seem to show up when dealing with OEM systems, but you can legally download the Windows 7 Install .iso file with SP1. That means you should always have an Install DVD or Flash Drive to use in emergencies.

I think the OP is referring to what the "Retail" PC's have....the hidden system partition, usually labeled as the D drive. I think he wants to create a partition like that.

I think the OP is referring to what the "Retail" PC's have....the hidden system partition, usually labeled as the D drive. I think he wants to create a partition like that.
We can do that also... :)

Edit: I need to clarify my statement. I have been playing with Windows 8 and can set up a recovery partition for use with the Reset your Computer option. However, Windows 7 does not have that option so I will assume the option would be contained in a modified WinRE.wim file or some other type of file. I do not yet have any experience doing that, so I could not get a Windows 7 system setup to act like an OEM one. If this is what is being requested, I would have to do some major research, if it was even possible.

Last edited:
Back