Windows 8 repeating BSODs from ntoskrnl.exe

erythen

I am having bsods that occur pretty much randomly(as far as i can tell).
when using bluescreenviewer, it says the cause is ntoskrnel.exe.

i've zipped the required files(from the pinned thread) together, but i may have missed something. let me know if i did.

i've already tried refreshing(for whatever it was worth) and even resetting to factory settings.

Attachments

• files.zip
    649.5 KB · Views: 1,496
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {4, 0, fffffa80042d8810, dd03eaf8b0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+24028 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
please update your drivers and bios using your manufacturers web page found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/in/en/indhs1/Product/inspiron-14-3420

You may also have a bad sector on your HDD. Please run chkdsk by right clicking Computer icon, choose properties, Tools and then under Error checking click 'Check'. You might see a dialogue box saying the scan isn't needed but run it anyway.
If you have further bsod please post new dmp files.

does windows update normally update drivers as well?
and by Computer icon, are you talking about the one in File Explorer?

On another note, when i accessed the driver update site you provided, it says "Your product is not currently supported by the Dell Driver Analyze Utility."
so do i manually download all the drivers and update like that?

Don't use windows update for drivers. It doesn't always find the best for your system.

The computer icon is the one found via file explorer.

As your laptop is now aging (or is considered so by Dell) it isn't fully supported. You can download the drivers manually however using the link I provided.

the one via file explorer sends me to the control panel page(the one showing system and windows experience rating). At that page, i do not see any 'tools', except one in the bottom left corner which sends me to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools". And there is no 'error' part there either.
*sorry for the trouble, since i'm not really good with computers

Last edited:
i'm downloading each update by itself(not using the download manager, since it lagged and stopped downloading)
and now i have lots of .exe files sitting in my downloads folder. once i've run them, and finished updating, i can delete those .exe files right?

How do i know when there's a new update to the driver? or how do i check my current drivers?

Last edited:
so far only one bsod during updating of drivers. it *should* be alright now. i think.

Attachments

• 111613-37703-01.dmp
    283.9 KB · Views: 334
To run a chkdsk see following screenshots:
bc36.jpg

c7no.jpg

Follow my instructions above and you should be ok.

If after updating everything you still receive a bsod please post.

oh yea. one more last question.
the .exe stuff that i downloaded, like the w7 diagnostic tool, and the .exe for the various driver updates, i can delete them all right?

great. after a few days of not logging online, it lagged, then bsod. literally now it's going through a very long "Automatic Startup Repair", repairing disk errors.

and the chkdsk you asked me to run? it said it was clear of errors.

Bugger! Post the dmp file when you get chance and I'll have a look.

that's the problem. my computer is still "Repairing disk errors" with the dell logo and black background. for the past 2-3 hours.... feeling like pulling the plug on it and hopes it starts up normally. though there's also the chance it's actually fixing the problem OTL

ok. sort of good news.
i just pulled the plug(held the power button down) and then started it up. now it's scanning/repairing with an actual counter, like in %.
i'll update you if it's ok, hopefully.

EDIT: to hell with it actually working.
it restarted then went back to "repairing disk error, this may take over an hour to complete"

Nope. It didnt fix after 8hours of "repairing". Im gonna bring it down to a pc shop and see if they can do a re-format or something that doesnt need me to change hard disk.

Back