Windows 10 Request Advice for finding a installed application on my Computer

wilspeak

Hello Everyone, I use an application called (Colornote) on my Windows 10 PC. While I can't seem to find it on my computer, when I go to the Microsoft Store and go to the Colornote page it says the application is already installed on my PC. I then can open the application up through the MS Store page. My question is how can I create a shortcut for that application or find the application thumbnail so that I can launch the application without having to sign into the MS Store every time that I need to use it? Thank You in advance. :)

Hi Wilspeak,

you should be able to find it in the start Menu, although they can be a bugger to find at times. If you really get stuck do a search
Once you find the app right click on it and look under 'other' you should see the option to stick it the start menu.

Hi Wilspeak,

you should be able to find it in the start Menu, although they can be a bugger to find at times. If you really get stuck do a search
Once you find the app right click on it and look under 'other' you should see the option to stick it the start menu.

Hello kemical and thank you, I tried looking in the start menu and I also tried to look through ALL of the start menu listings and I still can't find it. I even looked in my download folder and it's not there either. But it opens up when I go to the MS Store Colornote page and its listed as already installed. I was wondering if it was a windows 10 tile, the problem is I only have 3 tiles showing because I closed the rest of the other tiles that I wasn't using.

Navigate to drive C in Windows explorer and in the search box in the top right hand corner serch for Colornote. If it finds it you can right click on Colornote executable file and select "send to desktop" to create a shortcut to it.

Navigate to drive C in Windows explorer and in the search box in the top right hand corner serch for Colornote. If it finds it you can right click on Colornote executable file and select "send to desktop" to create a shortcut to it.

Hello patcooke, Thank You , I tried what you suggested and I even tried searching this "This PC" and both searches came up with nothing. Yet I can log into the MS Store and open the app and it says "This Product is Installed"

Try installing the free version of Ccleaner from here:

CCleaner - Free Download or try CCleaner Professional - Piriform

Run it, select "tools" and "uninstall" and see if it lists Colornote and enables you to uninstall it.

Hello patcooke, I ran the uninstaller and it shows no colornote installed. I have been thinking is it possible that the way it's configured it can only be accessed and opened through the MS Store? I just wonder why I don't have a desktop shortcut for it? Can you download the app and see if it does the same thing or does it actually put a desktop app on your PC? >>>>>>ColorNote Notepad Notes – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

The app is stored in a folder called Windowsapps in the program files folder. To get access to it you need to modify the permissions. To do that follow this guide:

How to Get Access to WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10

Once you've done this you should hopefully be able to see colornate there to right click on it and send a shorcut to your desktop.

I've just installed colornotes and found I could uninstall it using the tools in Ccleaner. Is yours not listed in Ccleaner tools?

The app is stored in a folder called Windowsapps in the program files folder. To get access to it you need to modify the permissions. To do that follow this guide:

How to Get Access to WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10

Once you've done this you should hopefully be able to see colornote there to right click on it and send a shortcut to your desktop.
I re-ran ccleaner like you told me to do and I see it !!! So what do I do, uninstall it and reinstall it? I am also going try what you are suggesting now , Thank You

I think the program has a lot of bugs, I read the reviews. Its a good mobile device program , but for PCs its needs some work. I tried to install and run it from another PC and it force closed on me. That guide that you sent me is a very good guide, follow this guide:
(How to Get Access to WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10 . ) I went through all the steps, but when I got to (step #9) where it says "open the “Select User or Group” window" and enter your administrator username and click on the button “Check Names".This action will automatically fill in the object name. Well that does not happen for me I keep getting a "An object (user, group, or built in security principal) with the following name>>MY NAME<< can not be found" error. Can you help me with this security issue ? Thank You.
windowsapps-folder-enter-username.png

But now Ccleaner has found the program you don't have to worry about trying to access it this way - just use Ccleaner to remove it and then go to reinstall.

Does it show up in "All settings" (from the taskbar) than "System" and next "Apps"?
If so you should be able to remove it from there: click on it and select remove.

Does it show up in "All settings" (from the taskbar) than "System" and next "Apps"?
If so you should be able to remove it from there: click on it and select remove.

Hello bochane, I tried what you suggested and guess what I found the app, BUT it still will not open up, it only opens in the MS Store page when I launch it. I suspect it may be a bug in the program. Thank You.

Hello bochane, I tried what you suggested and guess what I found the app, BUT it still will not open up, it only opens in the MS Store page when I launch it. I suspect it may be a bug in the program. Thank You.
You can't open an app from there, but you can remove it from there. Try that.
Than reinstall it from the store and see whether it shows up somewhere from Start on the left side of the taskbar.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
You can't open an app from there, but you can remove it from there. Try that.
Than reinstall it from the store and see whether it shows up somewhere from Start on the left side of the taskbar.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
I would really like to try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, BUT the reason why I am kind of hesitant to try what you suggested is because I tried to install that app on another Laptop and when it opened on the computer (not in the MS Store) the app force closed and would not even open. I read the reviews in the app's page in the MS Store and a lot of people stated that the app would not open and forced closed. So the app on my desktop wont launch on my desktop , but at least it opens from the MS Store page on one of my computers. I really feel its a bug in the app and not something wrong with my PC. I have been using colornote (mobile) on my phone for years and it works fine, but if the colornote (PC app) is not opening on the desktop and force closing on a laptop, I am just going to leave it as is because if I uninstall it on the computer that it works on, it may force close when I try to reinstall it like it does on my other computer. Thank You for your help and advice :)

In that case I would not even consider using it.

Let's test:
Download from MS W10 Store - ok; install - ok; there is an icon:up:; click on it - it starts and asks for signing in using Facebook - or Google account, using my Gmail account - ok; I am in.
And the final test, removing it.

And everything seems to be ok

Tested on W10-32 Home
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back