Windows 10 Restarts after Shutdown.

When I go to shut down my pc it restarts up again giving me a little message.

I went on the net to find a solution to it and wondered if this is it.

It's a legit key. You'd have to just try it. It would be a good idea to export your Registry backup file to your desktop in case it doesn't work and you can go backwards. Additionally, it would be another good idea to set a Restore Point and do an image backup to external hard drive using a tested W10 image backup software such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage, or EASETodo.

If the Registry tweak doesn't work you could have a hardware failure or windows corruption, so testing and subsequent software solutions would then needed to be applied. Is your affected computer a desktop PC or laptop? If a laptop, try to do a shutdown with the laptop battery removed. Do you get the same result? If not, your battery could be faulty and should be replaced.

Luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yes, I've seen this one or a variant of it without the phone number to call. The US-CERT [US-CERT | United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team] folks have dubbed this category of virus, "SCAREWARE", as it "scares" people not knowledgeable about computers into calling a non-legit outfit pretending to be Microsoft representatives.
Here is the Microsoft site to remove this virus: SupportScam:MSIL/Hicurdismos.A

The SCAREWARE category has been out for about a year now, and attempts to lure the user into thinking they've run into the incredibly nasty and difficult to remove RANSOMWARE category of viruses, such as the infamous CRYPTO LOCKER, GAME OVER, and NEMUCOD viruses. The differences here are that the SCAREWARE viruses don't actually lock your computer (windows boot lockout) or encrypt all your files and folders and demand you pay them a Ransom in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. Those viruses actually put a demand amount right on your Screen containing the error message (Blue Screen, Black Screen, or the FBI screen); or into a small text file stored on your windows desktop background as an icon. This virus just gives you a phone number and attempts to scare you into calling the virus authors, then once on the phone will attempt to extort payment from you to remove the fake error message. Or worse, once on the phone they will ask the user for permission to remote into their computer and from their they can take control, get the User's windows password and other critical information such as online bank account information and other private information pins, etc. to perpetrate Identity Theft.:pirate:

These SCAREWARE viruses really are intended to fool Senior Citizens, as they are the least computer-knowledgeable segment of our population. Especially those seniors in their 80s and 90s who were born before the invention of the computer (1946), and did not grow up in the digital age. :hopelessness: Most of these folks can never catch up with their computer learning during their lifetimes, and therefore are primary targets for this type of scheme.:chargrined: I've been teaching seniors for over 10 years and I see this on a daily basis. Several of us here besides me also do a lot of work with seniors and that age group as well; we talk about methods of prevention and education regularly.

You can read more about this here: Ransomware and Recent Variants
at the US-CERT site. What's really needed is for people to report these viruses to both the Government and to the Antivirus software makers so that they can study them and develop antidotes for them to distribute to the public in their products. Many folks are afraid to report these viruses to the Government as they are afraid they'll be tracked or something, which is untrue. So, we computer professionals tend to be the ones who report the viruses to the Government as well as send them samples of the viruses captured in the "wild" so to speak. I've been doing this since 1980. Reporting this virus you have to major AV software makers such as Symantec-Norton, McAfee, and Avast would be a help, if you are interested in being a good "netizen". It's completely optional; if you are not comfortable doing so, it's not a problem at all. Just letting you know that there is a worldwide movement to curtail and contain this type of virus from spreading throughout the Internet.:thumbs_up:

Hope that provides you with some insight.;)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
I ma still getting this and to boot when I exited a game I lost my W 10 destop,clock and when clicking an icon I get the hour glass like Windows XP.This is what my desktop looks like no clock in the lower right corner and it only show if I click on it.I get this everytime I go to shut my pc down.Don't Call This Number: It's a Microsoft Support Scam

Attachments

• desktop.png
    desktop.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
If you have a windows 10 recovery disk/USB or the install media itself try booting from it and instead of reinstalling enter the recovery console and safe mode. See if you run a virus scan once in safe mode.

Hi again,
The 2 easiest ways to get your desktop back are #1: use System Restore in W10 to "rollback" your Windows to a point in time prior to the virus coming into your computer, or the last time you think your PC was working correctly. This could be 3 days ago, a week, or a couple of months. The #2 method: in the future, use a tested W10 Image Backup software to wipe your disk drive partitions and re-image them from a backup file.
Approved softwares we've tested here on W10 (as well as earlier versions of Windows back to XP) are:
#1: Macrium Reflect
#2: Acronis TrueImage
#3: EASEus TODO

Of course, method #2 won't help you this time if method #1 (System Restore) fails to repair your desktop, but if you have to repair or completely reinstall your W10, it can certainly help you recover from a nasty virus the next time around. Most of us here, especially those of us on who have been testing W10 for Microsoft (we're called W10 Insiders) and worked on the early release of W10 going back to 2014, have been using these Image backup softwares regularly on our Test Machines, as those early preview versions of W10 had bugs and glitches and often crashed W10--so it was very convenient to be able to reset a machine's W10 in an hour or two from an Image Backup file.

Don't forget that all software repair utilities have inherent risks (aside from failing or faulty hardware such as bad RAM sticks or Hard Drives) so it's always best that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!

Let us know how it goes. Have you tried the W10 Recovery Console repair via USB bootable flash drive yet that kemical suggested? What result did you have? If you did try that repair and still had no luck, you might give System Restore a shot. Again, making a backup of all your personal data to external media BEFORE attempting any of these suggestions is highly recommended. If neither of these methods works for you, you'll probably be looking at a complete W10 reinstall in your near future. It's at that point, you'll need to have the Image Backup epiphany most of us have had by now working with W10.

Best of luck,:encouragement:

<<<BBJ>>> :skull:

Ok.Thanks as i am still getting that message and have used Win, Def. and Malaware bytes not in safe mode.How do you do a restore.

Btw if I have to do any reinstalling how do I get my online game programs in .exe so i don't have to redownload them all.

I would start by running a repair from an elevated command prompt
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You also could just try selecting a different Windows theme and see if that resolves the issue. The font color could be screwed up and set to black

Here's a great little YouTube video on how to do the Restore for you:

You shouldn't have to do any restoring of apps after the Restore; those should all be intact if it worked right and you have no hardware failures.;)
If you do have to reinstall any Games, you'll have to ask the guys in the Gaming sub-forum about that. There are thousands of different gaming programs out there, many of them MMORP games, and many of those can't be installed from a single .exe file, but have to be installed through a platform such as Steam. Check with the guys over there on that one; such as the Window10 Graphics and Gaming sub-forum here on WF or the Windows or the Windows Games sub-forum.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers!:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

That seemed to do it system restore works a little faster to and btw where exactly do you get the free version of malawarevytes that updates?

Back
Top Bottom