Windows 7 RESTORE HDD BACKUP

haplyss

I have a Gateway computer, 64 bit, DX4822-01, with Intel pentium E5300 Dual
Core, 2.6GHZ each, 6GB ram, and 1TB HDD, running Windows 7 Home Premium x 64
bit.

:(Four days ago I did a complete hard drive backup. On the 6th, and last disc I was told that it didn't properly close the session. 3 days ago something happened, while using Unlocker program to delete malware. My 2 user accounts would not open, until after I opened my admin account. So I decided to do a factory restore. I skipped the backup HDD, since I had just completed one the day before, and didn't was to chance backing up malware.

After the factory restore completed, all was working ok. But when I tried to restore my HDD backup, the system said it was looking for a backup of May 15, 2011. I doesn't recognize my backup of 4 days ago.

Is there any way possible to get Win 7 to accept the most recent backup??

Any and all replies will be deeply appreciated.

Haplyss

Is this a Win7 image that looks like that on the disk ( WindowsImageBackup). If that is the case, there is hope.

No, it's just the full hard drive backup. Is there any way to correct the date and time the system is looking for to read the proper backup set of disks?

Since your last backup did not properly close the session, it is probaly corrupted. I think there is little hope to recover that.

If it had been an image VHD, there would have been possibilities. But the Windows file backup generates files with which you cannot do anything short of using the recovery facility.

Over the years I found that all Windows backup and imaging facilities have flaws. It is much better to use an OEM program. I use free Macrium and never had any problems.

I also use the free version of Macrium for disk imaging & have never had a problem with the program. It's also at least twice as fast over Windows Backup. Have used it for about 3 years now.

For file backups, I use Todo 4 Free, it's the only one that I know of that does data backups at no cost.

No need at all for most home users to pay for a backup program. Every bit that we can save on cost helps.

Cat

For file backup a simple copy may suffice. Sync programs like Allway Sync are also handy. I have my data in a seperate data partition and I image that partition with Macrium too. Maybe out of routine and because I get some compression. It runs in the background and can be scheduled.

I image my data partition too, the great thing about that is that it's transferable to another HDD, should be become necessary. Plus monthly, I backup these files with Todo. There's no such thing as "too many backups".

On my Hotmail account, of which I have 2 email addresses, it says that I have 5GB of free backup space. Have you ever used these cloud backup services, and if so, are they any good? I was thinking of backing up some non-personal items there for safekeeping. GMail also offers a similar service.

Cat

No, I don't use any cloud facilities. I have acres of disk space on about 12 disks. That will last me for life.

With the cloud I would be worried about the transfer time over the net. Would hate to stuff my connection with backups.

One of my friends who did not know what he was doing backed a couple of TBs to the cloud. I think it tied up his connection for over a week.

I have plenty of space also, but not that much. Probably around 6.5 to 7TB total. When those HDD's hit the bottom in price, I managed to snatch up a couple of those 1TB Samsung HD103SJ's. They're every bit as fast, and quieter & cooler than my WD Caviar Black of the same specs.

But they're gradually coming back down in price. Newegg sometimes has 2TB ones, although not 7200 rpm ones, for $109 or so, w/promo code. This type of drive, for me, would be storage only, not a boot drive.

Was thinking of getting one of those devices that holds up to 8TB total (4 HDD's), but after checking into it, decided my USB3 docking station is OK for my use. One thing for sure, it seems that we can never have "too much" storage around. My accumulation of USB Flash drives is growing also, but I use them for certain things, such as storing installer (exe) files & one is a dedicated Portable Apps drive.

I also like having them to use to install OS's with. Much faster than CD/DVD's.

Cat

Last edited:
Hi

I do make a backup of my operating system disk, and hope it will work if I need it (when I did, it didn't).
But I always back up all my data on two external hard drives by just copying the data to them.
I have 4 external drives containing more space then my 2 1 TB internal drives.
My data in the computer is not on my OS partition. and most of it isn't' on the same hard drive.

It's not as convenient as some sort of automatic back up but I know my data is there and can just be copied back to my computer using Windows Explorer without having to rely on some backup utility to recognize my file.

I've had both Norton and Acronis not come through when I needed them.
Just bad luck I guess but it makes me gun shy.

Mike

Last edited:
Norton & Acronis hasn't done me any favors either. A 2010 version of Acronis was given to me, it's much slower than Macrium is. Many users has reported it to not work so well with 64 bit systems, and the newer the version, the worse it gets.

I installed it on the ThinkPad, it manages to keep a 60GB HDD backed up fine. Seems to run much better on XP than Windows 7.

Norton, I wouldn't run on anything. I won a 1 year, 3PC copy of Norton 360 in a drawing & gave it away to a friend that needed a full suite but couldn't afford it. He was tickled to death at first, but on one of his computers, a low-spec one, it dragged it down. He replaced that with a single user license of ESET Smart Security, & was good to go.

ESET & Macrium has treated me well in those areas.

Cat

Cat, here is a ral fun project. Install Windows 8 CP on a USB3 stick. Works really well and you can carry it to any PC. Made a little write-up on how to do that: Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk - Windows 8 Forums

You can also download the PDF file from here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0a48ca6d4035&provision=1&ref=3&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=412485191#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211779
I read that article before, my only problem is that my largest USB drives are 2.0 & 8GB. The one 16GB one that I have, runs at a snail's pace.

I do need to get one of those USB3 sticks, though, being that my notebook has twin USB3 ports. The price is beginning to drop on these drives.

Cat

This is the USB3 stick I got from Newegg (currently out of stock). It has an amazing speed. Have a look:

16GB USB3.png2012-03-24_1413.png

Back