Windows 7 Restoring backup from XP on Win7

sweetsonic

Before I wiped out my old install of WinXP to install Win7, I ran a backup to my external drive with the XP backup utility. Now i'm trying to figure out how to restore files on Win7 from that backup. Win7 and Vista doesn't recognize the .bkf backup file. I tried downloading the NTBackup restore utility from the Microsoft Website, but ran into a snag there.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

Help?

Hi,

Welcome to the Windows7 Forums

You can't restire it without using the original program that was used to make the backup. If you used XP backup, that doesn't exist in Windows 7. You should have simply copied your important documents, music, videos, pictures, etc to an external drive.

All 3rd party apps need to be re-installed.

Look for a directory named c:\windows.old and go through the contents looking for anything you might want to save.

Not sure if it will be there, as I've always do a "clean" install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I wiped out my old install of WinXP to install Win7, I ran a backup to my external drive with the XP backup utility. Now i'm trying to figure out how to restore files on Win7 from that backup. Win7 and Vista doesn't recognize the .bkf backup file. I tried downloading the NTBackup restore utility from the Microsoft Website, but ran into a snag there.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

Help?
I am trying the same thing and following the instructions from Microsoft for Vista Ultimate it says we need to turn on Remote Storage Management in windows but Windows 7 does not have this option. Still looking

I am trying the same thing and following the instructions from Microsoft for Vista Ultimate it says we need to turn on Remote Storage Management in windows but Windows 7 does not have this option. Still looking
Yeah, I ran into the same problem. It's looking like I'm going to have to restore the backup on someone elses WinXP and do what reghakr said. There has to be a way though...there's got to be some kind of backup utility that is compatible with WinXP and Win7. I'm pretty sure there is between WinXP and Vista right? Win7 doesn't have any utility that will restore the backup? I find it hard to believe :(

progster,

It's not in Windows 7, it's in Vista.

If you still have Vista.....

Go to Start > Run, and type optionalfeatures.exe.

Place a check in the box Remote Storage Management

Progster,

I'm at work now, so I can't work on my system...but I've been researching and I'm wondering if we could restore the backup using the Windows Virtual PC Beta w/ XP Mode.

That might be the easiest way unless we can find some kind of backup utility in Win7 that will recognize that file extension

Progster,

I'm at work now, so I can't work on my system...but I've been researching and I'm wondering if we could restore the backup using the Windows Virtual PC Beta w/ XP Mode.

That might be the easiest way unless we can find some kind of backup utility in Win7 that will recognize that file extension
Here is what I did, I found my windows xp install disk, copied expand.exe to a folder on the same drive the backup was created on [any folder name] also copied Ntbackup.ex_ Ntmsapi.dl_ Vssapi.dl_. I then went to the new folder and ran 'expand NTbackup.ex_ :[to the folder name your in] do this with each of the modules. Then you will have to rename the modules as such ren ntbackup.ex_ ntbackup.exe ren Ntmsapi.dl_ Ntmsapi.dll ren Vssapi.dl_ Vssapi.dll. I then just opened that new folder in a window and dc'd ntbackup and chose the options I wanted under the advanced tab. The backup is now expanding and will be for a while but I will let you know what happens after that.

Edit:: It worked but some of the files like 3rd party have to be reinstalled. I probably haven't found all the bugs yet but at least it is a start.

Last edited:
Back