Windows 7 Resume from Hibernation stops with 0x9A

Blutarsky

Extraordinary Member
On a brand new, freshly installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 i get the following error when resuming from Hibernate:
"Your computer can't come out of hibernation. Status 0xc000009a"

No other info, no reference to any file such as hyberfil.sys.....

I have tried to "powercfg -h on/off", reboot defrag and reactivate hibernation, however the problem is still there.....what can i try?

Did you try the -energy switch for powercfg? After it finishes, copy the report to the desktop to read it. Prior to running the evaluation, close down all other programs/utilities you can.

You will probably see some USB comments, but maybe something more involved will show up. Make note of the approved sleep states.

Does it go in and out of sleep OK?

Is it a Laptop or Stationary? older, and some newer, stationaries, do not have this feature.

Hibernation, as you know, is normally only useful to Laptop users, who walk away from the machione and forget it. On a stationary it is a total pain and, apart from wasting disk space, has no practical use. However.

Enter a command prompt and type powercfg -availablesleepstates and see what results you getfirst.
If hibernation is available to you, first use disk cleanup and then defragmentation to ensure you have no third party programs hanginng in and stopping your computer from hibernating.
Afterwards, you can go into the Control panel -Power Options. Scroll down through your chosen plan and ensure that you have the hibernate option available, and selected.

Last edited:
dave the computer is a laptop

this is the output from powercfg -energy:

Code:
[B]Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report[/B]

Computer NameARGOScan Time2011-04-19T08:48:14ZScan Duration60 seconds System ManufacturerDell Inc.System Product NameLatitude E6520BIOS Date03/02/2011BIOS VersionA01OS Build7601Platform RolePlatformRoleMobilePlugged IntrueProcess Count94Thread Count1129Report GUID{3431b053-a5c0-43eb-ba8f-744e3b19c790} 
[B]Analysis Results[/B]

[B]Errors[/B]

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device NameGeneric USB HubHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 29, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_8087&PID_0024Port Path1

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device NameUSB Root HubHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 29, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_8086&PID_1C26Port Path

Device NameMicrosoft Hardware USB MouseHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 29, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_045E&PID_0083Port Path1,1

Device NameUSB Composite DeviceHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 29, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_0A5C&PID_5800Port Path1,8

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

[B]Warnings[/B]

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)10000Maximum Timer Period (100ns units)156001

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period10000Requesting Process ID5216Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period10000Requesting Process ID2352Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is moderate
The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)3.83

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Namedwm.exePID4024Average Utilization (%)0.60Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\igd10umd64.dll0.22\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll0.15\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys0.11

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Nameexplorer.exePID4048Average Utilization (%)0.44Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys0.18\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\explorer.exe0.10\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.05

Process Namefirefox.exePID5564Average Utilization (%)0.43Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\xul.dll0.20\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\mozjs.dll0.07\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\igd10umd32.dll0.02

Process NameSkype.exePID2352Average Utilization (%)0.41Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.12\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe0.07\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys0.06

Process Namewlanext.exePID1436Average Utilization (%)0.29Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.17\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll0.02\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll0.01

Process Nameiexplore.exePID5216Average Utilization (%)0.25Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll0.12\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash10p.ocx0.04\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys0.01

[B]Information[/B]

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
Requested Period10000Requesting Process ID5216Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exeCalling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash10p.ocx\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack
The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.
Requested Period10000Requesting Process ID2352Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exeCalling Module Stack \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced Plan GUID{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
PersonalityBalanced 

Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality ModeBalance Video Quality and Power Savings 

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
PersonalityBalanced 

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality ModeOptimize for Video Quality 

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID24100Samsung SDIDELL 5CGM413ManufacturerSamsung SDISerial Number24100ChemistryLIONLong Term1Design Capacity62160Last Full Charge61239

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep SupportedfalseS2 Sleep SupportedfalseS3 Sleep SupportedtrueS4 Sleep Supportedtrue

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group0Index0Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group0Index1Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index2Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index3Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index4Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index5Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index6Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Group0Index7Idle (C) State Count3Performance (P) State Count15Throttle (T) State Count8

Ok. Try this, which might be the problem.
Control Panel (icon View!) -Power Options.
Select your marked power Plan. (default is "balanced") - Change plan settings
Change Advanced Power settings
Scroll down to USB settings and make sure you have the "USB selective suspend setting" enabled.
Ok and then on the next returned window "save"

Try the hibernation now.

Last edited:
Was already on that setting....
Guys, it is a freshly installed system... didn't touch anything..... could it be some settings in the BIOS?

I'm getting a bit short on ideas, but, fwiw, try this.
Disable Hibernation again, and delete the hiberfil.sys file (in the root)and restart the machine. Now apply disk Cleanup and defrag the drive and , once again, restart . Re-enable hibernation, (the hiberfil.sys file will be recreated after a yet another reboot).

I believe it's a UEFI problem..... DELL sucks guys, sorry for being rude..... I'll go for another test and let you know.... thanks for helping

Woops. You have UEFI!
There are quite a few posts regarding hibernation with it. looks like you may be out of luck. I am sorry. But post back if you do find an answer.

FWIW. My son is a Dell installation and repair engineer. I've just Emailed him for an answer.

OK. Later. Got this straight back from my son. I'm copying it verbatim, It is not a feature I understand, so See if it makes sense to you!!!!!

"Yes, one big thing that must be "abled" in the BIOS, is "power saving state (S4)". This must be activated, otherwise it won't switch power to all units when needed, and then a fault BSOD will pop up. This is usually a reference to the hdd, because it is not ready.
The big issue with UEFI and S4 state, is the fact that when you hibernate, the OS writes to flash memory, and then the hdd, of the exact progress, so it knows what to do when it gets woken up again. If S4 is not chosen, the exact progress is NOT written, and then windows burps and crashes.

Love Mike

P.S. If S4 is up and running, then it could be a matter of an win update which has corrupted the hibernate mode. Which would probably lead to a re-install.....urk!"

Even Later.
Now my son has sent me this large MS doc which may help??? (Attached)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
In addition to the previous, I see some things that look a little strange. Possibly caused by the situation being discussed, or vice versa.

The statement about Disabling ASPM seems to be related to a device on your system. I notice the Wireless card is not set to sleep. Have you looked in Device Manager-Properties for Network Adapter and made sure the options under the power management tab will allow the device to be controlled?

It is hard to tell what messages might have been generated by the ASPM being shut down.

Do you have any external devices connected, if so you might remove them.

Do you have some network activity that runs such as video feed or something the Network Adapter needs to be awake for?

You might try changing power profiles and then changing back.

I am not a Dell expert, so davehc might have the best information, or you might check with Dell, especially if it is a new laptop. Their support is very good, or at least it was..

DAVE!!!!! You need a MONUMENT!!!!
In the while I have switched back to BIOS Legacy mode because DELL support couldn't help me to find a solution to a missing sound card booting under UEFI. As a result now hibernation works.

I have tried to find some literature out there but UEFI seems to be at an early stage, now. However I'd appreciate if you could ask your son why the sound card was missing under UEFI, while visible and fully functional in Legacy mode. Very interesting also if you could ask him why boot time under UEFI or Legacy mode is on par. But this may be content for another topic....

Thanks and HUGS!!!

Thats great news! I am happy for you. I confess to frustration for a time there! My son is on tour at the moment (Fixing Broken Dells -LOL) He is coming straight over for a barbecue on Saturday, so we,ll put our heads together and see if we can make one!
I'll either post back in this thread or PM you.

Thanyou. We are blessed. (Well, I am at least!) Of thee children and one "extra" married to my daughter, Two are in intensive IT work and one is in repair work. Lots of stuff (all legally acquired) comes my way, and a vast amount of knowledge of course. I was luck enough to be drawn out of the bundle for Beta testing in the first Vista releases, and subsequently Windows 7, so we bore evreyone else around the dinner table talking about computers!!

Ps. Now with 5 grandchildren. All are competent with computer use. The youngest, 7 years old, leaves me at the starting post when we play competitive computer games. Oh well.

Looks like a lovely family.
My 2 children 11/12 years old are on the right way too.
As for your dinner talks, I can understand perfectly: Our friends now ask if the "ITC group" is invited to dinner, if so they decline invitation!

No luck on this one. My son states that the technology is only in use by a couple of other producers (gateway is apparently one). They are all having minor bugs, particularly with sound cards.. His applied solution, during his rounds, is to go back to the bios. The more drastic solution is, during the initial install, select the bios and not UEFI.

Woops. You have UEFI!
There are quite a few posts regarding hibernation with it. looks like you may be out of luck. I am sorry. But post back if you do find an answer.

FWIW. My son is a Dell installation and repair engineer. I've just Emailed him for an answer.

OK. Later. Got this straight back from my son. I'm copying it verbatim, It is not a feature I understand, so See if it makes sense to you!!!!!

"Yes, one big thing that must be "abled" in the BIOS, is "power saving state (S4)". This must be activated, otherwise it won't switch power to all units when needed, and then a fault BSOD will pop up. This is usually a reference to the hdd, because it is not ready.
The big issue with UEFI and S4 state, is the fact that when you hibernate, the OS writes to flash memory, and then the hdd, of the exact progress, so it knows what to do when it gets woken up again. If S4 is not chosen, the exact progress is NOT written, and then windows burps and crashes.

Love Mike

P.S. If S4 is up and running, then it could be a matter of an win update which has corrupted the hibernate mode. Which would probably lead to a re-install.....urk!"

Even Later.
Now my son has sent me this large MS doc which may help??? (Attached)

View attachment 13070

Dear Dave

I have the same issue with it,

Can I get the MS dos to see ?

Thanks a lt.

Back