Windows 7 Return to Vista After the Beta Expires?

jafu

When Windows 7 Beta expires in August, will there be a way to return to Vista? I noticed when installing the beta a folder called "Windows.old" was created. I assume this contains all the needed Vista system files. If you can't go back, what's the point of this folder?

this is simply where windows puts all the old files from your previous instalation, no you cant go back that folder, so you will have to re-install vista ( or a subsequent version of windows 7 :D)

There really isn't any point at all in that folder -- maybe if you had somedata in a TEMP folder it might make sense as you could recover it. Also if there are any programs where the .EXE file works without having to re-install the program you can copy these.

Otherwise the file is just a waste of space --delete it.

You'll probably have to re-install VISTA after the beta expires unless the W7 final is released before windows expiry.

You did make a backup image first ??

Cheers
jimbo

There really isn't any point at all in that folder -- maybe if you had somedata in a TEMP folder it might make sense as you could recover it. Also if there are any programs where the .EXE file works without having to re-install the program you can copy these.

Otherwise the file is just a waste of space --delete it.

You'll probably have to re-install VISTA after the beta expires unless the W7 final is released before windows expiry.

You did make a backup image first ??

Cheers
jimbo
Thanks, Jimbo............yes, I have a backup image but I like Windows 7 enough to make the purchase when it's released. Meanwhile, I'll delete the Windows.old folder.

Thanks again

this is simply where windows puts all the old files from your previous instalation, no you cant go back that folder, so you will have to re-install vista ( or a subsequent version of windows 7 :D)
Thanks......Now I know I can safely delete it. I have a backup image and also the original Vista disk if needed.

Last edited:
I suspect when the Win7 beta expires the Win7 RC1 will be here and when that expires Windows7 will be on the market. It would be painfully for me to have to go back to Vista on my desktop and XP on my netbook.

I won't go back either. Microsoft put out the beta this far ahead of the final release to create an appetite for it.
Smart marketing move.

well both of you are going to be disappointed because that is not what usually happens. There will be a couple of months in between the end period and the release of windows 7. So you will definately have to go back.

Well, either we will be disappointed or you will be. It's actually the first time, for me, a beta was stable enough I considered using it for months. Vista didn't have adequate drivers when it was on the market. Personally, I doubt Microsoft would want to dampen the enthusiasm for Windows7 by forcing people back to Vista or XP a few months before the release of Windows7. But then, I'm not definite.

My guess is that Microsoft will have the final version ready before the beta expires. This way they avoid the dampening of enthusiasm and reap the additional benefit of capturing the back to school market.

I agree with PatrickT

Well, either we will be disappointed or you will be. It's actually the first time, for me, a beta was stable enough I considered using it for months. Vista didn't have adequate drivers when it was on the market. Personally, I doubt Microsoft would want to dampen the enthusiasm for Windows7 by forcing people back to Vista or XP a few months before the release of Windows7. But then, I'm not definite.

I think Patrick might have hit the nail on the head. M$ are in it to make money.The amount of downloads of this OS is
reason enough to allow people to upgrade to it, but if that doesn`t have some may be quite pi$$ed about it.
Either way releasing what they have will boost adoption of Windows 7.:D

Back