Windows 7 Revert some UI to Vista

chengbin

I just upgraded to Windows 7, and I don't like some of the UI upgrades.

I would like to revert back the right click menu at the taskbar for the tabs to Vista. I can't close it like I used to. I don't like the fact that I have to move my mouse upwards quite a bit (compared to a slight nudge to the right in Vista) to close a tab.

I also like to change the placement of tabs on the taskbar. I have some shortcuts pinned on the taskbar. When I open the icon, the tab is located at the location of the icon. I hate that. It looks so ugly and inconvenient. Can I change it so the tab opens regularly to the rightmost place on the taskbar like every other program?

There is a small space between the top of the monitor and to the topmost icon. That is super annoying. I like to just move my mouse to the edge of the screen to open My Computer, but with this I have to move it slightly down. Very annoying. Right now I have align icon to grid off so I have move the icon a little bit up, but moving other icons is messy. How do I change that?

I have another keyboard, I press ctrl+space to switch between English and Chinese. In Windows 7 I can do that to switch from English to Chinese, but I can't do that to switch it back. I have to press shift+alt. How can I change it so it switches between keyboards with just ctrl+space?

How do I view control panel in folder view? Folder view is just so much convenient.

EDIT: One more thing. How do I close the MSN tab on my taskbar without exiting the program? I don't like having one extra tab on my taskbar all the time.

Sorry for the long list of questions! Thanks everyone who answers.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

This is a totally new operating system

In Short, , nouo can't make any hanges.,

I found this tool.
http://rammichael.com/?proj=29
It solves some of the problems. For me it reverted the Shift button, so I can use right-click to get the old menu and Shift+right-click to get the new jumplist. I hate how they made the "Close" command smaller and farther from the mouse. It also jumps up, so I have to chase it. I guess that's why they call them "jumplists" :)
Try the other options also. Some affect the grouping of programs, so maybe it will make the new buttons always add at the end like you ask.
I don't know about MSN - but maybe if you unpin the app it will work like you want it.

I found this tool.
http://rammichael.com/?proj=29
It solves some of the problems. For me it reverted the Shift button, so I can use right-click to get the old menu and Shift+right-click to get the new jumplist. I hate how they made the "Close" command smaller and farther from the mouse. It also jumps up, so I have to chase it. I guess that's why they call them "jumplists" :)
Try the other options also. Some affect the grouping of programs, so maybe it will make the new buttons always add at the end like you ask.
I don't know about MSN - but maybe if you unpin the app it will work like you want it.

Thanks for that tool. I found a way around MSN by running it in compatibility mode.

Back