Rohos Mini Drive / Rohos Disk Portable - use what for what?

Mike Goodger

1. We are told that Rohos Mini Drive creates a "strongbox" on a USB drive (or external hard drive??), so why do we need Rohos Disk Portable?

2. Can I have a "container" on my PC's hard drive too? It's a pain having to plug in a USB drive just to look up a password, I tend to use the USB drive as a back-up, kept elsewhere.

3. Any other comments, pro or con, about the Rohos system, for my own small-scale personal use?

It basically just creates and encrypted volume. If you have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise you can use bitlocker for the same thing and yes you could create an encrypted container on your system.

Other free options, or if you don't have Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise
  • 7zip can create encrypted containers
  • Vera Crypt can also be used to create encrypted containers or volumes

Thank you.

Re "yes you could create an encrypted container on your system. " Do you mean that I could create an encrypted container on my PC's internal hard drive with Rohos Mini? Or will Rohos Mini only create encrypted containers on USB flash drives and external hard drives? (Re Bitlocker, I don't have Bitlocker on Windows 10 Home.)

Re "Veracrypt can also be used to create encrypted containers", someone told me that if I connect a USB drive or external hard drive which has a Veracrypt container to a PC other than my own PC, I cannot access the encrypted container unless I have Admin sta us on that PC, which of course I would not have. So Veracrypt does not provide a fully portable solution?

I don't know if it will. Veracrypt will and it's free, so why pay money for something when there is a free alternative.

OK, I have written to Rohos to ask them about making an encrypted container on my PC's internal hard drive.

Re "Veracrypt will and it's free, so why pay money for something when there is a free alternative. " - Rohos Mini and Rohos Disk Portable are also free, and I cannot use Veracrypt for the reason already mentioned above, namely: I cannot access a Veracrypt encrypted container on a USB stick or external hard drive on a PC other than my own, without Admin Status - or are you saying that I can?

Back
Top Bottom