Windows 7 Rumor: new build due out tomorrow in x64 flavor

...and why are the late ones coming in vhd forms instead of iso.

Good question... Maybe to stop people from actually installing it on real hardware but still allow them to test it? Or it may just be a coincidence - .vhd builds might be easier to leak at the moment :)

By the way, installed 7229 yesterday on my new Samsung 256GB MLC SSD. It was a full SSD installation - not sure if it's well known fact that it is very easy to install Windows 7 from a flash drive instead of burning it on a DVD. I only found out yesterday.

It's surprisingly simple:

1. Create a primary partition on your flash drive
  2. Mark it as active
  3. Format it with FAT32
  4. Mount the installation ISO
  5. Just copy all files to the flash drive
It is then possible to boot the Windows 7 installation from the flash drive.

I thought I knew quite a lot about the boot process - but in this case, no bootsector is written to the flash... :)

Apparently, the same is possible with Vista. But hey, nobody cares about Vista here, right? I know I couldn't care less :D

By the way, installed 7229 yesterday on my new Samsung 256GB MLC SSD. It was a full SSD installation - not sure if it's well known fact that it is very easy to install Windows 7 from a flash drive instead of burning it on a DVD. I only found out yesterday.

It's surprisingly simple:

1. Create a primary partition on your flash drive
  2. Mark it as active
  3. Format it with FAT32
  4. Mount the installation ISO
  5. Just copy all files to the flash drive
It is then possible to boot the Windows 7 installation from the flash drive.

I thought I knew quite a lot about the boot process - but in this case, no bootsector is written to the flash... :)

Apparently, the same is possible with Vista. But hey, nobody cares about Vista here, right? I know I couldn't care less :D

I may be mistaken... but this is due to the presence of bootsect.exe. It serves as the "bootstrap"/

how long does windows 7 take to boot from a flash drive compared to a standard dvd? for me the dvd takes about 15-20 minutes roughly.

how long does windows 7 take to boot from a flash drive compared to a standard dvd? for me the dvd takes about 15-20 minutes roughly.

When you say boot, do you actually mean boot of the Windows 7 Installer? Probably not, as the installer boots in just a few minutes from the DVD (and much quicker from the flash).

If you meant the whole installation, then that took 12 minutes for me on my Lenovo T61 laptop. I was installing from a SanDisk Cruzer Tag 4GB flash drive which is not exceptionally fast (~15MB/s) onto a SanDisk 256GB MLC SSD. It wasn't actually much quicker than my last install of 7100 from a DVD onto a Intel X25-M 80GB MLC SSD, which took about 13 minutes. (Times quoted are from confirming the installation partition in the installer till the desktop is first shown.)

I just like the convenience of the flash drive, it's nice not to have to burn a DVD (which will be thrown away anyway...). I actually doubt I will ever install Windows 7 from a DVD again :)

7232.0.amd64fre.winmain.090610-1900.client_en-us.ultimate.SoLoR-custom.iso

SoLoR-custom.iso...?? Doesn't sound to assuring. Has it been put together again using older ISOs and VHD? Coz this really doesn't look like a genuine ISO from M$.

Its is my no means a genuine ISO from Microsoft, it has been put together with the 7232 VHD and 7229 ISO. However the uploader is trusted.

VHD vs .iso

The VHD is a vitual setup and the ISO is actually setup as your OS .
Not sure why so many are emerging as VHD ?

Perhaps the VHD releases is just a way to limit the number of users of these interim builds. Mounting an image on a virtual machine does definately require a higher skill level that installing an .iso. If a build is released (aka leaked) in VHD format, it will eliminate a large percentage of us with low skill levels from getting the build installed. Microsoft may find it more beneficial at this point in development to limit feedback to more experienced users.

Just some speculation on my part.

Eh, so I was a couple days early on this...at least it still came out. :razz:

John, I think you may have a very good point there. It makes a lot of sense.

Back