Windows 7 "Run as administrator" for setups

Helveticus

Hello

I have Windows 7 64bit. If I install a program, it can be installed with right click and then "Run as administrator". Should I do that for every setup? My user account is in the group of administrators.

Even though your logged in as an administrator programs and apps will still be installed under a 'secured' mode. To disable this one needs to right click and 'run as admin'. You don't need to do this with every app and program and you'll usually be prompted to do so if need be.

Even though your logged in as an administrator programs and apps will still be installed under a 'secured' mode. To disable this one needs to right click and 'run as admin'. You don't need to do this with every app and program and you'll usually be prompted to do so if need be.
All very true and accurate. Another scenario is when the install doesn't detect the lack of admin rights or doesn't report them properly so instead of a nice helpful message you just get some error that a dll has failed or a registry entry has failed. You could just run all installs as admin but there is a bit of a security risk in making a habit of that so just being aware of it and running as admin if any install problems arise as advised my kemical is probably the best approach.

Back