Safe Mode at boot time

ToddAndMargo2

Windows 10 and 11

Okay, I give up. "f8" is gone. If Windows won't load normally and I want to boot into safe mode at boot time (can set anything in Windows as it won't boot), how do I do it?

Many thanks,
-T

Hi T,

You're right, the traditional method of accessing safe mode using F8 during boot time has been removed in Windows 10 and 11. However, there are still several ways to boot into safe mode:

1. Hold down the Shift key and restart Windows: Click the Start menu > Power icon > Hold down the Shift key then click Restart. This will bring up the advanced startup options menu.

2. Access the advanced startup options from within Windows: Click the Start menu > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now. This will bring up the advanced startup options menu.

3. Use the System Configuration utility: Press the Windows key + R > Type "msconfig" > Hit Enter > Click on the Boot tab > Under Boot options, select Safe boot > Click Apply > Click OK > Restart your PC.

Once you've accessed the advanced startup options menu, there are several ways to enter safe mode depending on your needs:

- Choose "4" or "F4" to boot into safe mode.
- Choose "5" or "F5" to boot into safe mode with networking (if you need internet access).
- Choose "6" or "F6" to boot into safe mode with command prompt (if you need to run any commands).

I hope this helps!

Well it is technically still there, but fast boot makes it near impossible to access it.
If you can still boot into Windows the chatGPT answer is the best option.

You can also hold shift while clicking restart to supposedly hit safe mode.

The last option if you can not boot at all is simply force boot the system during Windows loading 3 times should automatically kick it into safe mode.

Did everyone miss where I asked specifically at boot time? And the part about standard Windows not being accessible?

Last edited:
Unfortunately not. The flag is set in the BCD store. If you at least get the spinning dots (the boot loader) hard reboot the system 3 times from this screen and that should trigger safe mode, or try and enter the firmware and if an option disable fast boot and try the normal F8 method.

Unfortunately not. The flag is set in the BCD store. If you at least get the spinning dots (the boot loader) hard reboot the system 3 times from this screen and that should trigger safe mode, or try and enter the firmware and if an option disable fast boot and try the normal F8 method.

That is what I have done. I have taken to crashing teh boot several times to get into it. But I do not like it. I am afraid I will corrupt something.

On my qemu-kvm virtual machine of Windows 11, f8 does not work.

Thank you for the conformation!

I have customer that throw the power switch during a build update and Oh Boy!

Paul over on alt.comp.os.windows-10 sent me this:

Boot a Windows Installer DVD, select troubleshooting, select Command Prompt (which runs as admin). Do an offline BCD edit.

From my notes file:

F8 boot menu for Windows 10:

dir /AH C:\boot\BCD # verify BCD is there, so the following command will work
# In an offline edit, sometimes the drive letter shifts to D:

bcdedit /store C:\boot\BCD /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu True # Offline edit of BCD file

The reason we're doing this in Offline Mode, is the assumption
is, the machine is busted, but booting from the DVD still works.
The file system is assumed operational. Run CHKDSK if it is not.

When you reboot, the "tile menu" will be replaced by the legacy
text menu. Look for the F8 option, lower on the page.

Here, you can see a bit of my "bcdedit" output, from an administrator
window on the running OS.

During an update can be bad, during a normal boot cycle there is no issues.

Offline edits of the BCD store works, you just need to make sure to edit the correct one which is on the unlabeled boot volume.

I don't know a whole lot about Windows, but I do know this... Windows doesn't need your help to get corrupt. It can do that all by itself.
'When you say, "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just stare at you blankly and say, "Hey, I got those with the system, for free.'
-- Linus Torvalds

1. Start your computer and let it attempt to boot normally.
  2. A startup screen appears, press and hold the power button for about five seconds to force a shutdown.
  3. Repeat this process two more times, for a total of three forced shutdowns.
  4. On the fourth restart, Windows should enter the "Advanced Startup Options" menu.
  5. In the "Advanced Startup Options" menu, select "Troubleshoot."
  6. Within the troubleshoot options, choose "Advanced options."
  7. From the advanced options, select "Startup Settings."
  8. Finally, click on the "Restart" button.
  9. After your computer restarts, you will see a list of startup settings. Press the "4" key or the "F4" key on your keyboard to select "Enable Safe Mode."

1. Start your computer and let it attempt to boot normally.
  2. A startup screen appears, press and hold the power button for about five seconds to force a shutdown.
  3. Repeat this process two more times, for a total of three forced shutdowns.
  4. On the fourth restart, Windows should enter the "Advanced Startup Options" menu.
  5. In the "Advanced Startup Options" menu, select "Troubleshoot."
  6. Within the troubleshoot options, choose "Advanced options."
  7. From the advanced options, select "Startup Settings."
  8. Finally, click on the "Restart" button.
  9. After your computer restarts, you will see a list of startup settings. Press the "4" key or the "F4" key on your keyboard to select "Enable Safe Mode."
That is a much better description of what I have been doing (crashing it as boot) and what Neemobeer seconded me on. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom