Windows 7 sate/ide dvd writers

Yes, assuming of course that your board has the requisite ports available or that you have compensated for the absence of the ports with either an add-on card or adapter of some type for the particular device(s).
Note that many if not most add-on cards may not be eligible as a boot device item, so if that is a requirement then you need to do some additional work to confirm that your motherboard supports booting from add-on cards or that the card itself provides such an option.
Regards
Randy.

Hi,
Thanks for response. Mobo is a GA-X58A-UD3R. Had 2 DVD Writers connected via IDE and working. 1 DVD Writer causing me problems so got another but with SATA connection. Connected this to Internal SATA on MOBO and it worked but the IDE connected one stopped working..The new Writer was not to the specification as advertised so I am sending it back but before I get another one I wanted to resolve the issue of SATA and IDE connections. As far as I can tell the BIOS is set up correctly. Any further advice much appreciated.
Thanks

but the IDE connected one stopped working.
As a single drive, the jumper must be set to CS (cable select) or Ma (master) and it must be connected to the Ma connector (the one on the opposite end from the motherboard connector). If this remaining device is set to Sl (slave) and/or attached to the Sl connector (the one in the middle of the cable), then that is likely your problem.

This assumes you did not knock loose a power or data cable when removing the first drive.

Thanks for response.
So just to clarify; if I connect an IDE DVD Writer then it should be set to Master and when I connect another DVD Writer but as a SATA and via a SATA connection (all internal of course) and the SATA DVD Writer is also set as a Master, then all should be well?

and the SATA DVD Writer is also set as a Master
No.

SATA devices do not use Master, Slave or Cable Select. Those are only for IDE devices. This is because you can connect two devices to each IDE cable and the IDE interface controller must be able to determine which is which. SATA only supports one device per cable so the SATA controller does not need to sort that out. In the vast majority of cases, you never have to mess with jumpers on SATA drives - especially those made in recent years.

With IDE devices, you have a two main options with strict rules:

Option 1 - Cable Select (CS). Both drives (or one if only one drive is used) will be set (by jumper) to CS. The IDE HD controller will determine which is Master (MA) and, if two drives, which is Slave (SL) by the drive's location on the cable. On the cable, opposite the motherboard connection is the Master and the one in the middle is the Slave. If only one drive is used, connect it to the Master cable connection. If two drives, determine which one you want as Master and connect it to the end connector. I generally put hard drives as the Master and optical drives as the Slave.

Option 2 - Master and Slave (MA/SL). With one drive, it will be set to MA. With two drives, one will be set to MA, the other to SL.

Rule 1. Do not mix CS and MA/SL on the same cable.

Rule 2. When looking at an IDE cable, note the middle connection is not exactly in the center, but closer to one end - the Slave is always closer to the Master.

Rule 3. There will never be a Slave drive by itself. If only one drive, it must be a Master with the jumper set to MA or CS and it must be connected to the Master (end) connection.​

If mixing SATA and IDE devices in the same computer, it may be necessary to adjust the Boot Order settings in the BIOS Setup Menu to make sure the system sees the boot drive first.

Hi,
Okay, think I have it now. Will have to wait till I get the replacement Writer and it will probably take a couple of weeks at this time of the year but I'll post when I get everything set up.
Many thanks for help.

Back