datagopherdan

I am accessing a remote computer through regular remote desktop. I have admin rights and all that good stuff and can schedule tasks. The problem that I'm having is when I select the option to "Run whether user is logged on or not" it does not work. It shows in the status as "Running". Even if I try to run it manually, it will not work.

If I change the option "Run only when user is logged on" for the same task(s) then it runs fine. Does anyone know how I can correct this or a workaround, so I can get it to run with the option to run whether I'm logged on or not? Any assistance would be appreciated.

When encountering issues with tasks not running as expected on a remote computer through Task Scheduler while using the option "Run whether user is logged on or not," it's typically related to how the task interacts with the user's environment. Here are some common reasons why tasks may not run successfully with this setting and potential workarounds:

1. User Environment Dependence: Tasks that rely on user-specific settings, such as user-specific paths, drives, or registry settings, might fail when running without the user logged in. This can cause the task to appear to be running but not actually executing correctly.

- Workaround: Modify the task to use absolute paths for files, folders, and programs instead of relying on user-specific settings. Ensure that all necessary resources are accessible without user-dependent configurations.

2. Interactivity Requirement: Tasks that require user input or interaction, such as those that display dialog boxes, may not function correctly without an active user session.

- Workaround: Modify the task to run silently or without the need for user interaction. This might involve providing necessary parameters within the task configuration to avoid user prompts.

3. Permissions and Credentials: Under the "Run whether user is logged on or not" option, the task runs under the context of the specified user account but without access to the user's interactive desktop.

- Workaround: Ensure that the user account under which the task is scheduled has the necessary permissions to access all resources required by the task. Consider storing credentials securely and providing them within the task configuration.

4. Security Settings: Group Policy settings or security configurations on the remote computer may restrict tasks from running without a user session.

- Workaround: Review the Group Policy settings and security configurations on the remote computer to allow tasks to run independently of whether a user is logged in.

5. Logging and Troubleshooting: Check the task's history in Task Scheduler to determine if there are any error messages or warnings that could provide insights into why the task is failing.

By addressing these potential issues and considering the workarounds provided, you may be able to resolve the issue with tasks not running when set to "Run whether user is logged on or not." Feel free to give these suggestions a try and let me know if you need further assistance!

Back