Windows 7 Screen does not work anymore; windows dumps when booting, so I have to use safe mode

His model can come with either an AMD or Nvidia graphics..

AMD is the one which appears as default, so should I leave it as such?
Apologies I thought you had an nvidia set up so from the list choose AMD. I don't see a drop down menu when i use it but hence my question.. ;)

If you can get back into the desktop try and download the drivers displayed on the site. They may appear old but as your using Win 7 try them anyway.

I don't see a drop down menu

Sorry for replying late, I have been busy lately. I attach a pic of the window that I see, so that you can check.
DDU.PNG

DDU.jpg

Oh I see the drop down list now... Do you know i've never noticed that in all the time I've used the app. Whenever I open the DDU it's already locked onto Nvidia so no need for me to change anything.

Obviously in your case you would be wanting to make sure that yours is set to remove AMD but just a word to the wise, I'd download the gpu driver first before you remove the original.
Also when you boot into safe mode to use the DDU make sure you right click on the DDU icon and run as administrator.

Hi again,

I'd download the gpu driver first before you remove the original.

I'm not sure which one is the 'GPU driver', so attach a pic and I'd very much appreciated it if you could tell me which drivers to download

DRIVERS.PNG

btw, I have seen a video on youtube that uses the BIOS, which I can download in this very same page.
Do you know what that method is an whether it is dangerous?

Also when you boot into safe mode to use the DDU make sure you right click on the DDU icon and run as administrator.

In fact right now safe mode is the only way my laptop works; otherwise it dumps.

Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure which one is the 'GPU driver', so attach a pic and I'd very much appreciated it if you could tell me which drivers to download
Your looking for a driver for AMD?
amd.JPG

If the above driver fails to work try using the Crimson beta driver found here:
Legacy

Regarding the bios, if you have no experience of flashing the bios then it's best left alone until you can find a computer store to do the flash for you.

Last edited:
If you can now access the desktop, visit your manufacturers homepage and download the Windows 7 drivers for your system GT520

Hi again,
After running DDU and restarting, although the laptop screen was still black, the system did access the desktop in normal mode; the only message that's popped up is about PSUNMin.exe which said that I had to try and reinstall rtl120.bpl.
Yet, after installing the driver and restarting it's crashed again. So now I am back in safe mode and here I add the logs I've found

Hi again,
After running DDU and restarting, although the laptop screen was still black, the system did access the desktop in normal mode; the only message that's popped up is about PSUNMin.exe which said that I had to try and reinstall rtl120.bpl.
Yet, after installing the driver and restarting it's crashed again. So now I am back in safe mode and here I add the logs I've found
Which driver did you try? Just one or both?

If the driver from your support page doesn't work then as advised above please try the driver provided in the link.
PSUNMin.exe which said that I had to try and reinstall rtl120.bpl
Could be related to an app called TuneUp Utilities 2010? If it's installed please remove.

Which driver did you try?

I can confirm both drivers have failed, and when restarting my laptop after installing them the crash dump appears again.
Could be related to an app called TuneUp Utilities 2010?
I had it installed years ago; after running DDU and before installing any driver ccleaner showed is that PSUNMin.exe in the startup panel (all the programes in the windows tab were enabled after running DDU, although I usually have them turned out).

How should I proceed now?

Hope to hear news soon.
Thanks in advance.

Does the bsod still occur if the monitor and cable are removed?

Does the bsod still occur if the monitor and cable are removed?
Without the monitor I cannot see anything as the screen doesn't show anything, it's all black.
My battery is worn out so I have to plug the charger all the time.

Well try it anyway and leave the machine running 5 or 10mins. If the machine restarts then chances are it's a blue screen.

What are you using to connect to the monitor? A VGA cable or?

Hi,
yeah, a bugcheck 116 or TDR, basically the machine tries to reset the driver. If it doesn't respond within 2seconds then a bsod occurs.

What does it say in Device manager under Display Adapters?

You do have the option to update the bios which is really the last thing you try if nothing else works. Is there a local computer store which could help you with the flashing or even a friend perhaps?

Failing that we could try again with different drivers but it's up to you..

I do not know what you mean. I do not know why the screen is not adjusted, is it perhaps something I can set in the external monitor?

You do have the option to update the bios
What are the risks? I do not want to risk the documents I have since I haven't any copy of them.
The store where I bought the laptop already shut down.

If you don't have a very recent backup, say in the last week or month of the stuff on your laptop, I don't advise attempting the BIOS update.:noway::noway: When teaching students who were preparing to become licensed Computer Techs, I taught them how to properly do this. About 98% of the time, students failed to do the update and borked the Motherboard.:headache: In a Classroom where we had lots of spare parts and extra computers to use, it was no big deal. AS IT'S EXTREMELY HIGH RISK AS KEMICAL MENTIONED I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU WERE PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED TO DO SO AND HAVE DONE IT BEFORE!!! I can't be any clearer than that.

It's worth noting that replacement Motherboards can run from $175-$1500 depending on whether you live in the US or overseas.

You can certainly find another computer repair shop that uses licensed Technicians somewhere near you even if you have to make a bit of a drive (unless you live in Antartica or something). If you live in US or Canada, you can find a Best Buy Geek Squad store near to you by going to the Best Buy website and use their store locator to find one.

<<<BBJ>>>

If you don't have a very recent backup, say in the last week or month of the stuff on your laptop, I don't advise attempting the BIOS update.:noway::noway: When teaching students who were preparing to become licensed Computer Techs, I taught them how to properly do this. About 98% of the time, students failed to do the update and borked the Motherboard.:headache: In a Classroom where we had lots of spare parts and extra computers to use, it was no big deal. AS IT'S EXTREMELY HIGH RISK AS KEMICAL MENTIONED I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU WERE PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED TO DO SO AND HAVE DONE IT BEFORE!!! I can't be any clearer than that.

It's worth noting that replacement Motherboards can run from $175-$1500 depending on whether you live in the US or overseas.

You can certainly find another computer repair shop that uses licensed Technicians somewhere near you even if you have to make a bit of a drive (unless you live in Antartica or something). If you live in US or Canada, you can find a Best Buy Geek Squad store near to you by going to the Best Buy website and use their store locator to find one.

<<<BBJ>>>

First of all, thank you for your help.

Is there anything more I can safely try home before the last resource of going to get the laptop biosed?
If so, I am stil willing to try and see.

Thank you in advance.

Is there anything more I can safely try home before the last resource of going to get the laptop biosed?
Apart from what we have already tried not much. I would find your local (trusted) tech support and get them to do the bios flash I'd also get them to take a look at your screen too. As we don't have the lappie physically in front of us simple things can be missed and he/she may see something overlooked.

O.k. I desinstalled once again the AMD driver and tried to run the software that the 'how to post' post advises to.
Here are the files which this time were indeed generated.

Furthermore, I'd like to know what are the risks of having my system running without the AMD driver.

Attachments

• RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 244
  • W7F_19-10-2016.zip
    98.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 409
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 390
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 376
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 382
  • 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 389
Kemical said:

I do not know what you mean. I do not know why the screen is not adjusted, is it perhaps something I can set in the external monitor?

Your Device manager can be found by following this guide:
How To Open Device Manager in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, or XP

dm.jpg

See what is being displayed in Device manager.

Furthermore, I'd like to know what are the risks of having my system running without the AMD driver.
Well your operating system will carry a basic driver for AMD so in theory should be ok. Windows however may want to install the latest release due to Windows update.

Back
Top Bottom