Windows 7 Screwed up permissions?

Jynx

I typed up a few things into Notepad. I click File, Save As and attempted to save this file into a folder I created in Documents. I am giving the error message below. The file continues to be created though but its empty. If I try to save it a second time in the same place it ask if I want to overwrite the exiting file, I click yes and this time it saves the actual document without error.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

me too

I noticed the same kind of issue if the folder you are saving to is owned by >nobody.

bob

Correct you need to ensure that the folder you are saving to is owned by you or that you have permissions to save to that folder.

I have a similar problem. I have WinXP & Win7 installed on two diff drives and all my data on the third drive. I went on to Win Media Center and added my music folders off the third drive; now one of them is inaccessible after rebooting. It just says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanantly get access to this folder" and when I click continue it says You have been denied access to this folder. I think it has something to do with the UAC. The funny part is that I'm the only user and administrator. I read the help and it says I could turn off UAC and it would require me to reboot; although not sure that's the best choice. This drive/folder is not accessible in WinXP either!
PLEASE HELP HELP HELP

i have a similar problem, for some reason i cant delete files (on a third drive too). and i keep getting a permission message..

I really do hope somebody comes up with a solution. As me being the same user/owner cannot access my own files. And that too in my backup folder/drive. Unimaginable that a backup can get messed up. How many hard disks are we to have to succumb to windows problems!

As iroken stated,

you need to check the ownership of the hdd. your moving a hdd from a perivous OS ex: XP. W7 doesn't recongize the permissions correctly on the drive. just re-take the ownership and apply it to all folders and sub-folders. You have to do apart of the administrators group to do this.

:)

As iroken stated,

you need to check the ownership of the hdd. your moving a hdd from a perivous OS ex: XP. W7 doesn't recongize the permissions correctly on the drive. just re-take the ownership and apply it to all folders and sub-folders. You have to do apart of the administrators group to do this.

How do we do that exactly?

i have taken ownership of my HD. i have no other OS installed. i will check the properties of folders on my HD and will have the read only check box checked, i uncheck it and hit apply before i close the properties for the folder. i look again and its checked again. half the time to copy, move, delete a file i have to REBOOT. that still doesn't always work. i am tired of downloading a file and finding out at the last second i don't have permission to put it on my HD! thanks for having me waste 30- 60 minutes or more. the security measures that MS has put in 7 hamper people who know what their doing.

if it wasn't for some of the other features of W7 i'd have already re-installed vista. but my patience is wearing very thin.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem when installing 7 for dual boot on the same machine with XP. I created a second partition on my C drive for 7 . Installed without a hitch. When I went into Disk Management my old C drive was there but not labeled. I assigned it a new letter and I had access to the partition. However, a separate hard drive was showing up with an assigned letter of D but when I clicked on it I got a message that the drive was not accessible. I took a look at the security permissions on the "good" drives and saw a lot of entries from System to Users to even my name. On the non-accessible drive there were no permissions listed. I had to add the various groups and grant permissions in order to gain access to the drive. It was pretty much a hit or miss affair. Learn by doing as the system help on this subject gave some basics but not the details as to what you needed to enter in the various boxes. By doing it myself I got a really good understanding about how permissions work and how to change.

As iroken stated,

How does one re-take the ownership? When the error message pops up "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click continue to permanantly get access to this folder." So once you hit Continue you get another message "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab."
Once you hit that it keeps trying and trying but no access.
I think it's got something to do with the stupid MSHOME or the changed name that I'm using.
somebody please help with some more info...........

same here

I installed 7 on a separate drive and have the same problem with folders on a third drive. This is assinine!

I typed up a few things into Notepad. I click File, Save As and attempted to save this file into a folder I created in Documents. I am giving the error message below. The file continues to be created though but its empty. If I try to save it a second time in the same place it ask if I want to overwrite the exiting file, I click yes and this time it saves the actual document without error.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Jynx: Did either of the following two posts help with your issue.

I noticed the same kind of issue if the folder you are saving to is owned by >nobody.

bob

This one? or
Correct you need to ensure that the folder you are saving to is owned by you or that you have permissions to save to that folder.

This one?
If not could you please let us know if your problem persists. As for everyone else, who reported having similar problems. They actually aren't he's trying to save a file in a folder that he has created in his Documents folder. He hasn't mentioned anything really about a second or third drive or partition or dual booting with multiple operating systems or anything like that. So perhaps rather than piling on with a bunch of me too(s) which aren't really applicable to the Original Posters issues nor of much real help, you could start your own thread and perhaps receive some help addressing your distinct and quite different issue. Thank you for understanding.
Randy

Okay here we are end of 2010 & I'm still stuck at the same issue. Only difference is I had uninstalled Windows 7 Beta as I was using Dual Boot with Win XP. Now I have only one operating system installed the new Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. My previous folder 'My Music 2' was inaccessible for some stupid reason. Then I created 'My Music 3a' and I was setting up my apps on Win7, when I personalized the Homegroup name. As soon as I did that I was buzy still installing applications & I'd like to hear some music on the background. So I double clicked on the folder 'My Music 3a' that I've been using ever since the previous problem and suddenly I got the error:
- "You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanantly get access to this folder" and when I click continue it says You have been denied access to this folder.
Well I didn't click Continue this time but had it memorized from the problem I had two years ago...I'm still looking for a solution!!
A techwiz mentioned that I could pull out my alternate drive that I have all my music in & plug it in another PC & I should be able to access all my data; but I would like to know if anyone has tried that option?

Please please help...I am now with no music accessible and a fancy operating system that doesn't allow you to save or access files from your own hard drives.

It now shows 0 bytes in two of my folders that total to more than 100GB!!!

Sorry, I mis-spoke. Use it at the root of the folder heirarchy not the root of the drive. In other words if all your music files are in folders within a parent folder called Music, then apply the take ownership process there

Well I have 3 folders only in my D drive that is 'My Music', 'My Music 2' & 'My Music 3a' ; the second two are inaccessible and they are not sub folders so do I apply the 'Take Ownership' application on those folders individually?

Thanks in advance!

Well I have 3 folders only in my D drive that is 'My Music', 'My Music 2' & 'My Music 3a' ; the second two are inaccessible and they are not sub folders so do I apply the 'Take Ownership' application on those folders individually?

Thanks in advance!

Back