Windows 7 Searching doesn't find MpCmdRun.exe

Starkman

Hello all,

I want to use MpCmdRun.exe to schedule running MSE, but when I search for the program (Start > search box), it doesn't find the program, but the program is exactly where it is supposed to be: Program Files, Microsoft...etc. Further, if I go to the folder in which the program resides, the search box for that folder will find it.

I do have all hidden files and such to show and what not, so I know that's not the problem. And there's no file attrib on the program file in question.

Any ideas why this file?

Thanks,

Starkman

Hi

I ran a search of Drive C:\ and I found it in the location C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe

I recommend the free program Agent Ransack for a search engine, I've used it for years.
It always seems to work a lot better then the Windows search engine.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?page=download&type=agentransack

It seems to be able to find the stuff that Windows Search Engine can't for one reason or another.
It will add the AgentRansack option to the right click menu.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. What a pain, though. And why? Why would Windows find the file from one area of searching but not another? This is basic 101 stuff that should have long ago been taken care of. Oh well...

Thanks again,

Starkman

Hi

I know how you feel, but I've seen occasions when I could run search for a file I was sitting and looking at in File Explorer and Windows couldn't find it.

Not some obscure hidden file, but an .AVI movie file.
I even copied the name of the file, then pasted it into search, and it came back no file found.
This was in Windows 7, I really don't know if it's better in Windows 8, but that's when I started using Agent Ransack.

Agent Ransack seems to find anything I search for and it is very fast.
It has a lot of options that can be used if desired as well but I usually just click where I want to search and type in what I'm looking for.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom