Windows 7 Searching in System Protection - No drives show

rjcrum

Hi,

First posting.

I am trying to figure out why my Win7 Home Premium system doesn't have any restore points, and I seem to have found the problem. "System Protection" is not turned on for the C: disc. When I go to the "System Properties" / "System Protection" tab, under available drives all I see us "Searching...", and it does not show any drives on the system. It can sit like that for, oh, 15 minutes or more. I can't figure out how to get it to see Drive C and allow me to check the box!

System details: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP desktop system that I upgraded (clean install) from Windows XP. In the house I have two other systems, both laptops, that I upgraded from Vista, and both of them have System Protection turned on, with corresponding restore points.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,

First posting.

I am trying to figure out why my Win7 Home Premium system doesn't have any restore points, and I seem to have found the problem. "System Protection" is not turned on for the C: disc. When I go to the "System Properties" / "System Protection" tab, under available drives all I see us "Searching...", and it does not show any drives on the system. It can sit like that for, oh, 15 minutes or more. I can't figure out how to get it to see Drive C and allow me to check the box!

System details: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP desktop system that I upgraded (clean install) from Windows XP. In the house I have two other systems, both laptops, that I upgraded from Vista, and both of them have System Protection turned on, with corresponding restore points.

Thanks,
Bob
Not sure, I haven't actually seen this problem thus far, but you should probably try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt and see if that has any effect. Also have you tried to disable system protection, reboot the machine, then re-enable it and reboot again. Just a couple thoughts.

I ran sfc /scannow and no errors were found.

As for turning off system protection/reboot/turn on/reboot....well, I can't turn it off, because there are no 'protected discs' in the list of drives. It only shows 'searching....', and doesn't show a C: drive with a place to check it as protected or unprotected.

That's the basic problem.

Any other ideas???

I ran sfc /scannow and no errors were found.

As for turning off system protection/reboot/turn on/reboot....well, I can't turn it off, because there are no 'protected discs' in the list of drives. It only shows 'searching....', and doesn't show a C: drive with a place to check it as protected or unprotected.

That's the basic problem.

Any other ideas???
Sorry, as I said earlier, I haven't actually seen this problem. Can I assume that the "Configure" button is unavailble to you under system protection?

Yup....good assumption. While it reads "searching.....", the configure button is not available. And....it never completes "searching....".

I'm stumped.
Bob

Yup....good assumption. While it reads "searching.....", the configure button is not available. And....it never completes "searching....".

I'm stumped.
Bob
Thanks, I seem to be good at assuming anyway. Have you tried safemode, just to see if there might be some third party app or service that might be causing this?

Back
Top Bottom