Windows 7 Secure Windows 7?

ZoroRock

Hello :) I'm new here and just wondering...

Windows 7 is a nice system, I already have Windows 7 Release Candidate. But still the security issue remains. I have some programs - Mil Shield, Lavasoft Firewall and AVG IS and they run perfectly on this Windows 7 release.

But some other my favourite programs do not run and I'm scared a little. How do you make the PC security possible?

Not sure what security issues you refer to? Windows seven is comparable in security to Vista. There are some A-V that fail in 64 bit versions but most should work. Can you clarify what you mean by "make the PC security possible"? It seems you have an Anti-Virus, Firewall, and an AD-aware type cleaner tool, any more security software would create a conflict as you shouldn't run two of any of these types of programs at least not as resident. If this is what you are trying to do Seven will stop you since running two A-V can leave you with no protection at all.

Not sure what security issues you refer to? Windows seven is comparable in security to Vista. There are some A-V that fail in 64 bit versions but most should work. Can you clarify what you mean by "make the PC security possible"? It seems you have an Anti-Virus, Firewall, and an AD-aware type cleaner tool, any more security software would create a conflict as you shouldn't run two of any of these types of programs at least not as resident. If this is what you are trying to do Seven will stop you since running two A-V can leave you with no protection at all.

I mean all these things with the computer privacy, the proxies, the internet tracking and tracks at all, hackers and viruses, network monitoring,and so on. Now there is no such operation system that has such a huge protection.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, Vista was the most secure OS out of the box at release of any OS ever released, including Mac and Linux.

However, a good AV is good to have, but firewall or so called internet security AV, unless it is a hardware firewall far more recommended, is really not needed by windows as of XP SP2.
Windows Firewall, while not perfect, is as good as most software firewalls on the market. There are plenty of articles on the net to backup my claims.

For Malware/Ad-Ware/Spyware, really the best progs are Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes.
I don't promote Ad-Aware anymore cause it is bloated and overly commercialized unfortunately.

I don't promote NOD32 anymore as it cripples the system when the license expires (it's a good AV though), and I just do not approve of this tactic at all. I do not know what else it cripples, but the ability to save pictures from the net is one of them. Uninstall an unlicensed NOD32 and saving pictures works again.

Kaspersky is still not 7 ready, it's a pain to install. Parts are not compatible unless you install a patch (possibly) from kaspersky to fix it. This shouldn't be needed.

AVG is junk.

Avast is ok.

Mcaffee is junk

Norton 360 can at times choke the system, or cause the network to drop randomly, caused by it's Internet Security junk.

I have not yet tested Avira, mainly in the past they did not accept US currency, now they do, so I may check them out further. They always get the best ratings on AV Comparatives. But, they also force you to contribute to Auerbach Foundation which I need to research. I don't like to contribute to charities I know nothing about.

I use AV Comparatives as a basis for what is best AV. But also, my personal experience over the years on my own pc and many others.

To be honest, the best security you can have is yourself.. ;) Know what site's your going on, know what your downloading and from who, etc.. Just common sense stuff really.. :) I have tried a few different AV programs in Windows 7 but I haven't installed any of them permanently.. So far so good, no viruse's, trojans, worms, etc.. (I'm in no way saying that anyone should purposely not install any AV software, I'm just saying it's a little harder then people think/let on to infect your pc if you just use common sense...)

To be honest, the best security you can have is yourself.. ;) Know what site's your going on, know what your downloading and from who, etc.. Just common sense stuff really.. :) I have tried a few different AV programs in Windows 7 but I haven't installed any of them permanently.. So far so good, no viruse's, trojans, worms, etc.. (I'm in no way saying that anyone should purposely not install any AV software, I'm just saying it's a little harder then people think/let on to infect your pc if you just use common sense...)
I completely agree.

And I would add,, that even with AV, some viruses still can and do get through and disable AV software.

However, a good AV (as stated) is still recommended. But, the question remains, "What is a good AV software?"

So many choices and so many caveats or problems/issues to deal with. How do you know which one is going to work best for you?

Try them all and take advantage of all the trial periods to see which ones work and which ones don't.
Don't just choose one and buy it expecting everything will be ok. You waste money that way, and keep those companies around that don't deserve to be (mcafee).

That's also why I posted AV Comparatives, to hopefully help make the decision a bit easier.

Another prospective free AV for Windows 7 (and XP and Vista also. But nothing older than XP) is Microsoft Security Essentials beta. It is still in beta, and the microsoft website has closed the download, but it is still available through softpedia. (As of 5 minutes ago.) Some might want to give that a try.

Actually, I would recommend that as I would recommend Microsoft OneCare. But OneCare doesn't work on 7.

Wonder how they are going to merge One Care into Security Esssentials. Security Essentials is downloaded to U.S. as one download for XP 32 bit, one for XP 64 bit, one for Vista/Windows 7 32 bit, and one Vista/Windows 7 64 bit. Are they just going to notify One Care users that their subscriptions are non-renewable and let them figure it out that the replacement is available and free? Wonder how they are going to handle that.

All operation system have holes as far as the security and the privacy. I use really advanced security and privacy software (Mil Shield, Lavasoft Firewall and AVG IS) but nobody can beat the system weakness yet. But anyway...

I made test with Everest (advanced diagnostics and benchmarking program) and :) :) it works on both Windows 7. This program has also security options and I think that it fits my collection of security and privacy software on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Back