Windows 7 Seeking an XP to Windows 7 Comand Comparison Utility

golfit007

I am seeing a utility that will let me enter the command that I use in XP and then tell me what the corresponding comand or sequence of comands are in Windows 7. What I am finding is I am spending many hours locating the correct set of sequences to do something which is very straightforward in XP and do the same thing in Windows 7. I end up going onto the web and have to search for the command and the information necessary to accomplish a task. An example of this is creating an ODBC connection. In XP it exists as an option in the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Data SOurces ODBC. In Windows 7 now its buried in Windows System32/odbcad32. I am not seeing any real advantage of using Windows 7 other than running in 64bit mode. It seems that the order of where things/commands are located and what commands are called is many times changed as well. Any help in locating a possible utility is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The only difference between the two operating systems, at least in so far as creating an ODBC (DSN) is the default display of the control panel.
If you will go up to the right corner of the Control panel and change you "View by:" drop down to small Icons rather than category, you will notice that "Administrative Tools" is present just as it was in Windows XP and that your ODBC Data Sources link is still there.
Regards
Randy

Hi

Welcome aboard.

I still prefer to use the old style control panel as Randy described.

You might be interested in an application that I've used since day one with Windows 7 is Classic Shell.

Welcome to Classic Shell

It makes the interface more like Windows XP and improves the way that Windows Explorer works, (stops the left panel list from jumping up and down when you click on something) now that I'm using Windows 8 I miss it.

It has no impact on performance, you can switch back an forth with a click and doesn't loose any of the advantage of Windows 7.

I suppose there will be a W8 version eventually.

Mike

Back