Windows 10 Seriously need help with re-activation of Windows 10 Home.

Lucas2201

Alright so this is a bit of a long story, but any help whatsoever is much appreciated.

Back in February I got a new PC. Assembled everything myself, and everything worked like a charm. Prior to that, I had of course linked my Windows 10 Home license to my account, which would ensure the license to be valid on the new motherboard as well - and that was exactly the case. Everything went as planned.

Fast forward to now, the 19th of August, I just installed my new motherboard, Aorus Z270X Gaming 7, and I'm extremely happy with it. The previous motherboard was an MSI Z270 Krait Gaming - not sure if that's important. However, and here comes the reason for this post, my Windows 10 license is unable to reactivate - even though, as said earlier - it's linked to my account (and yes, I'm logged into the right account).

I have now struggled with this for the past 45 minutes, doing everything Microsoft says on their website, troubleshot it due to "significant hardware change", but nothing worked. I've tried typing in my original key (a Windows 8 key from April 2014, when I first got the license). Nothing's working. Needless to say, I've tried rebooting as well.

The only idea I have myself, is that Microsoft still thinks my old PC is active (that is, my old motherboard), because looking at my devices on my account at their website, I can see them both. This pc (my desktop pc) labeled after my old motherboard, the MSI one, and the same pc, labeled after my current motherboard, the Aorus one. I've linked a screenshot down below, however, I apologize it's not in English. Is it possible that my license is unable to get reactivated because Microsoft still thinks that the old motherboard exists and is in use, even though this is in fact the same pc, only with a different motherboard? (not sure if that made sense).

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet In the screenshot you will see my laptop I use for school: "LucasLenovo", and two "LucasVision's". One with the Gigabyte (Aorus) motherboard, and one with the MSI. I've censored the Windows version because I'm paranoid, even though it's probably useless, but I can indeed confirm, the version of the "LucasVision" with the MSI mobo and the Aorus mobo is identical - which is the reason I'm suspicious that Microsoft thinks I'm trying to activate the same license on different pc's - even though there's only one pc.

Right, so as I said - long story. Sorry if it's poorly worded, I did my best. Any help is much appreciated. Have a nice day :)

You can try the activation troubleshooter. If that doesn't work you will want to contact Microsoft to get the license re-activated.

All the information you need is here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

I've tried that multiply times, it doesn't work. All I see under my devices is my pc I use for school, and I can't login to any other account, or choose another device.
Looks like I have to call them, which is frustrating.

Nah, I've called them hundreds of times over several decades for this kind of thing.:) Microsoft support is VERY helpful, and they'll do their absolute best to help you. This is even true in many countries outside the US around the world, as I've gotten feedback on this forum (WF) and 4 other forums I volunteer on as well. The biggest frustration you might encounter, is a long hold time, as W10 has now been out for over 2 yrs. and has 400 million people around the globe who have upgraded to this latest version. This is normal; and is worth the wait. Just think if you had 400 millions people calling you every day for problems, how long do you think people would have to wait to get to talk with you??:andwhat:

Anyway, give it a try. Neemo has also done this many times (probably not as many as me since I started with PCs long before windows was ever around). Ordinarily, this particular service is free. Even to end-users (Home Users) such as yourself. Even better.;) Once you get on the phone with them, they may ask you for some proof of ownership of your W10 license, some simple identify validation (to make sure you are who you say you are), and some photos such as the ones you posted here of your hardware.

Let us know how it turns out, and if you are still having problems, post back here to this thread and we'll attempt to help you further.

[EDIT: I looked at the photos you posted; only saw 1(one) photo. And it doesn't show your actual Motherboard in or out of your computer case. If you get on with Microsoft, it would be helpful to have that for them so they can find the photo on your computer (via Remote Control) or you can text it to them from your Camera Phone.]

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Nah, I've called them hundreds of times over several decades for this kind of thing.:) Microsoft support is VERY helpful, and they'll do their absolute best to help you. This is even true in many countries outside the US around the world, as I've gotten feedback on this forum (WF) and 4 other forums I volunteer on as well. The biggest frustration you might encounter, is a long hold time, as W10 has now been out for over 2 yrs. and has 400 million people around the globe who have upgraded to this latest version. This is normal; and is worth the wait. Just think if you had 400 millions people calling you every day for problems, how long do you think people would have to wait to get to talk with you??:andwhat:

Anyway, give it a try. Neemo has also done this many times (probably not as many as me since I started with PCs long before windows was ever around). Ordinarily, this particular service is free. Even to end-users (Home Users) such as yourself. Even better.;) Once you get on the phone with them, they may ask you for some proof of ownership of your W10 license, some simple identify validation (to make sure you are who you say you are), and some photos such as the ones you posted here of your hardware.

Let us know how it turns out, and if you are still having problems, post back here to this thread and we'll attempt to help you further.

[EDIT: I looked at the photos you posted; only saw 1(one) photo. And it doesn't show your actual Motherboard in or out of your computer case. If you get on with Microsoft, it would be helpful to have that for them so they can find the photo on your computer (via Remote Control) or you can text it to them from your Camera Phone.]

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Thank you so much for your time and help.
I doesn't look as if I'm going to get this resolved, so I will have to call them. I don't suspect they speak my native language, so that's got to be interesting.
Will post when it's all over.

Neemo has also done this many times (probably not as many as me since I started with PCs long before windows was ever around).
As did many of us... Plus if Windows wasn't around why were you phoning the activation centre?

Last edited:
Called Microsoft? Yeah maybe years and years ago when I actually did none enterprise support :) I haven't had to personally since I don't use digital licenses I've always had Pro license keys which don't suffer from these issues.

Back
Top Bottom