Windows 10 Service host: Local System - using up bandwidth.. how do i make it stop?

db88

For whatever reason my service host: local system is bouncing around using anywhere from .5mb/s to 4mb/s and i really dont want it to cause me to go over my comcast monthly data limit.

So whats the deal and why is it running and how can i stop it???

svchost.exe is a generic service hosting container. Any number of required system services can be running in them, so I would not get rid of them. You can use Process Explorer Process Explorer to determine what services are running in the host container. My guess is it's Windows Update or BITS running. You can also verify if Windows Update is downloading anything with the following.
  • Press the Win key type powershell, right click powershell and select Run As Administrator
  • In powershell type Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers
  • If you see any job listed as Transfering then your computer is downloading an update. Queued indicates a download that will start soon

I tried doing that in powershell after stopping the service and nothing happened

Something I like to use for such things as seeing what is using resources is Resource Monitor. Using its Network tab can give you quite a bit of info.

Background Intelligent Transfer service is used to download windows updates. If you disable it then you won't get updates.

however it says BITS is running now.. its just not using any bandwidth which is good.

Well BITS is designed to run during idle time and only utilizes unused bandwidth, so it shouldn't hinder any foreground applications.

Back
Top Bottom