Windows 7 Setting up a USB Hub

chasemyass

Today I've bought one powered USB Hub that I was hoping to solve my low number of USB ports. It has 10 ports but when I connect anything on it (my phone, my external hard disk, flash disk, etc.) it doesn't recognize it. All of them are working conected directly. No unknown device under Device manager when I have only hub conected so the drivers are up and running. My windows is 7 32b SP1.
Can someone gimme a hand abt this? Thanks!

Sent from my JY-G5

Is the powered hub actually getting power? Maybe the power adapter isn't working. There should be an LED or something to indicate the hub is getting power.

There really isn't any setup required for a hub, just plug it in and it should work. If the hub is getting power then it may just be that the hub is defective.

Is the powered hub actually getting power? Maybe the power adapter isn't working. There should be an LED or something to indicate the hub is getting power.

There really isn't any setup required for a hub, just plug it in and it should work. If the hub is getting power then it may just be that the hub is defective.
Yes it is powered and it gets power. I suspect that my problem is from motherboard, even that I haven't checked the Hub on another PC to see how it works. I'll do that today and write here how it goes.

Sent from my JY-G5

Since you say the devices work fine when plugged directly into the USB ports on the computer, I would think the motherboard is working OK. Please do try the hub on another computer and let us know if it works there.

Since you say the devices work fine when plugged directly into the USB ports on the computer, I would think the motherboard is working OK. Please do try the hub on another computer and let us know if it works there.
Yes it is powered and it gets power. I suspect that my problem is from motherboard, even that I haven't checked the Hub on another PC to see how it works. I'll do that today and write here how it goes.

Sent from my JY-G5

Over time, I have bought over a dozen USB hubs of many different brands. What they all had in common was that every single one failed for no apparent reason. They were all powered through a UPS and none of them was subjected to any form of extreme use. The longest life was probably a year. After wasting a lot of time trying to diagnose problems, I've concluded that they must all be made in the same factory in China and some characteristic makes them especially susceptible to failure. At this point, when one fails I just buy a new one and the problem disappears for awhile.

I see over on the WD forum a lot people using powered hubs have problems with the external drives plugged into them. I suspect the voltage is barely adequet for anything that reqires much power. I had one and it seemed to die one port at a time.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom