Windows 7 SFC /scannow won't complete

julio99

I've tried to run the SFC /scannoow twice and both times I get to 7% and I get "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I had this once before and resolved it, but I can't remember how. I've ran chkdsk twice and I still can't get past 7% on sfc/, so it appears running chkdsk was not the solution. I'll try and post the logs here so you can see if there's anything I can do to get the sfc/ to run ful 100%. I can't seem to add this log file as an attachment from the cbs logfile so unless this is needed someone will have to give me a heads up on how to post this to this thread.

Last edited:
If you did the the command for this Microsoft page, you already have a text file to attach?

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

If so, you can right click and select send to compressed file and attach using the paperclip.

Edit: Do you have any anti-virus programs you can turn off?

Last edited:
I don't know if this is going to work Saltgrass. I tried it the way you said and there was no paperclip in the reply window so I had to reply to the post this way.

Attachments

• CBS log.txt
    1 MB · Views: 919
If you did the the command for this Microsoft page, you already have a text file to attach?

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

If so, you can right click and select send to compressed file and attach using the paperclip.

Edit: Do you have any anti-virus programs you can turn off?

I had to go about this differently so forgive my stupidity, but the log you requested is below. Yes I do have ESET nod32 AV. Should I try SFC w/o that running? I have a feeling this is something to do with the winload.exe and the bootloader files. It says in the log that those could not be repaired. It's in the post abov I mean. The log that is.

Well, it seems at 0400 this morning the scan completed, or just about completed with 5 files it could not repair. There were other files that had been repaired several times, but the repairs were not solving the problem. After the unable to repair messages there were several "Access Denied" error messages. I will assume these mean the files were not accessible to be replaced. Why, not sure, but maybe the anti-virus. I don't think SFC will run in safe mode, but you might try. The files that cannot be repaired are: winload.exe.mui winload.exe winresume.exe winresume.exe.mui bootres.dll The .mui files are Multilingual User Interface components that go with the basic .exe file. The reference I gave earlier shows how to replace these files, but the problem is finding good ones. Have you not upgraded to SP1? Hard to tell since some files will still be listed as 7600... I now see it is using the SP1 core check, so probably these files are just the same ones as before. Anyway, I have attached an excerpt from your log in case you want to check. But the problem is why are these file corrupted. You might want to keep an eye on your system to see if anything is causing problems. Perhaps a drive problem, or memory, or overclocking if you are doing that. If you need help trying to replace the files (I would), post back.

Attachments

• sfcdetails_Post.zip
    753 bytes · Views: 289
Last edited:
Thanks Saltgrass. I know why those were corrupted. The winload, the winresume, he bootres and the similar mui files all corrupted because of me using that bootloader tool that gives you different boot animations. It must have somehow corrupted those files but it still booted so I don't know why it did that. Usually you get stuck in a windows recovery environment and you can't boot. Anything else corrupted besides that was because of one Mod or another. I uninstalled SP1 because I was thinking of doing a repair install, but if you think I can get away with repairing by replacement, by all means let me know. I'll wait to hear from you before I do anything. Let me know the best way that I will be able to run sfc again w/o problems.

Because the SFC finds errors, doesn't mean the system won't work. To me it is an irritation if the SFC won't complete, but as long you check and make sure only those files are the problem, you might be OK. I suppose the stopping at 6% would be a problem, but it did complete earlier.

You can now download a legal version of the Install DVD .iso with SP1 included, so you don't have to worry about uninstalling SP1 anymore. If you do decide to reinstall it, I suppose there is a chance the install will not be able to access those files. But your versions (7601, etc.) are the same I show.

You can check just one file at a time with SFC. Since the Winload.exe file is located in the Windows\System32 and Windows\system32\boot folders, it would be easy to check those two.

Run these commands in the Administrative command window one at a time to see if either one passes the test. You can copy and paste in the command window. There are other copies of this file on the system.

sfc /scanfile=c:\Windows\System32\winload.exe

sfc /scanfile=c:\Windows\System32\boot\winload.exe

Other options can be seen by typing SFC /?

Because the SFC finds errors, doesn't mean the system won't work. To me it is an irritation if the SFC won't complete, but as long you check and make sure only those files are the problem, you might be OK. I suppose the stopping at 6% would be a problem, but it did complete earlier.

You can now download a legal version of the Install DVD .iso with SP1 included, so you don't have to worry about uninstalling SP1 anymore. If you do decide to reinstall it, I suppose there is a chance the install will not be able to access those files. But your versions (7601, etc.) are the same I show.

You can check just one file at a time with SFC. Since the Winload.exe file is located in the Windows\System32 and Windows\system32\boot folders, it would be easy to check those two.

Run these commands in the Administrative command window one at a time to see if either one passes the test. You can copy and paste in the command window. There are other copies of this file on the system.

sfc /scanfile=c:\Windows\System32\winload.exe

sfc /scanfile=c:\Windows\System32\boot\winload.exe

Other options can be seen by typing SFC /?
Those 2 passed but the bootres.dll wouldn't go and neither would the 2 with the same winload.exe and boot\winload.exe, but everything that has the mui behind it won't go. I get the same warning and I just found out that I can't do a repair install either because there are missing or corrupt files there too. This is bad. What am I going to do to get this fixed? Panic time?

What is the status of your boot modifier?

If the two files I mentioned passed, that seems to present a problem, since I figured at least one would fail.

As far as the .mui files, do you have another source (install) for them or have you searched your system for more that 2 copies? You might try just right clicking on them and selecting restore previous.

I will have to see if I can find a path to the comparison files to find out why the two you tested are OK. There are other places you can check about how to repair corrupted system files.

Edit: Many of the tutorial mention that the Windows 7 install media might be required by SFC. I have not come across anyone that has found that to be the case. I assume you were not asked either.

Last edited:
What is the status of your boot modifier?

If the two files I mentioned passed, that seems to present a problem, since I figured at least one would fail.

As far as the .mui files, do you have another source (install) for them or have you searched your system for more that 2 copies? You might try just right clicking on them and selecting restore previous.

I will have to see if I can find a path to the comparison files to find out why the two you tested are OK. There are other places you can check about how to repair corrupted system files.

Edit: Many of the tutorial mention that the Windows 7 install media might be required by SFC. I have not come across anyone that has found that to be the case. I assume you were not asked either.
Why would it present a problem if one of those passed? I think the only corrupt files thay are hanging everything up are the MUI files that are identical to winload.exe ane winloadresume.exe only with a MUI extension on the end. I have no clue what is going on or how we are going to get through this because I'm not sure these are the only corrupt files. Ican't do a repair install now because windows told me I have corrupt or missing files and it stops the repair and puts me back to desktop. I don't know what you are asking at the EDIT in your last post about the windows 7 install media being required by SFC. I wasn't asked anything. So what do you think my friend? Out of ideas or am I going to do a clean install or are we trying to replace corrupted files? You have to tell me caus I'm totally wiped by this. It's like mental exhaustion of the worst kind. If you only knew how much this bothered me. Oh well, enough of my whining. Let me know what you think I should do?

First point..you say you uninstalled SP1, but the files you show are the same as I show with SP1. Have you tried downloading the SP1 .iso and do a repair install with that?

SFC does not check for corruption, but for agreement that two files are identical. If the files in the store are not identical to the one is it checking, it cannot repair what it thinks is a corrupted file. SFC may have another source to check for consistency, but I am not aware of the entire process. You can replace the primary file if you have a backup. Because the individual SFC said the file was OK, maybe I am not understanding something or it was able to repair the file.

Winload.exe is 590K or larger. Winload.exe.mui is around 32K. I don't think they are the same file. It is a language addition for the .exe to use. But I suppose there is a possiblity one is effecting the other. You can use the referenced site to replace the files. You only have 5...some folks have many more.

If you want to try to replace the bad files, I will try to find replacements if you don't have another computer to get them from.

You might run SFC /scannow again and check if the winload.exe file still appears as a file that cannot be repaired. Still seems strange it would show as unrepairable in SFC but not when checked by itself.

2011-12-28 02:20:38, Info CSI 00000037 [SR] Verify complete
2011-12-28 02:20:38, Info CSI 00000038 [SR] Verifying 100 (0x0000000000000064) components
2011-12-28 02:20:38, Info CSI 00000039 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2011-12-28 02:20:38, Info CSI 0000003a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30{15}]"winload.exe.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-OS-Loader.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked
2011-12-28 02:20:39, Info CSI 0000003b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:34{17}]"winresume.exe.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-OS-Loader.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked
2011-12-28 02:20:40, Info CSI 0000003c Ignoring duplicate ownership for directory [l:62{31}]"\??\C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd" in component Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Base-HomePremium, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral

These are the results of the sfc /scannow that I just tried to run. It made it to 9% this time and crapped out, but it left this log and as you can see these 2 are the ones that can't be repaired. 2 MUI files so I suppose these 2 need to be replaced as I don't have a way to find them anywhere. Unless you can find those I'll just reformat as I'm tired of hitting the wall here. I started to run the repair install and I got it to run to the end and then I got compatibility issues and it defaulted back to where I'm at now. It's like one wall after another. I uninstalled SP1 because the repair install would'nt run with it for some reason or another. So this is where I'm at. I'll awaiit your rply as to if you can find replacements for those 2 mui's you see in the log above.

You can do a search of your system and find several copies of the files. Exactly which one you might need to use is a grey area. But make sure the size of the file is correct and don't mix x64 with x32 files.

For Winload.exe.mui

C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup
C:\Windows\System32\Boot\en-US
C:\Windows\System32\en-US

And possibly others. It looks like the winload.exe was repaired using the single check method..but I don't really understand why.

Anyway, pick one of the backup locations and using the process on the referenced page, try to replace the file.

You can do a search of your system and find several copies of the files. Exactly which one you might need to use is a grey area. But make sure the size of the file is correct and don't mix x64 with x32 files.

For Winload.exe.mui

C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup
C:\Windows\System32\Boot\en-US
C:\Windows\System32\en-US

And possibly others. It looks like the winload.exe was repaired using the single check method..but I don't really understand why.

Anyway, pick one of the backup locations and using the process on the referenced page, try to replace the file.
I ddn't really understand much of that whole mess and kept hitting brick walls every time I tried a repair or patch. It wasn't so bad if I didn't mind running my machine with corrupted files, because it was for all intents and purposes running just fine, but I knew what was going on underneath it all and that's a no go for me, so after giving it some thought and failing to find suitable replacements I just reformatted and all is well. It took a full day and I'm still trying to get the last kinks out or in, however you want to say it, but I wanted to thank you for the effort you put in to helping me.
The windows\winload.exe.mui and the windows\winresume.exe.mui that were both corrupted I couldn't find exact duplicates of either one. The places where you had me look had the same files but they had a.efi extension in them so instead of just trying to keep asking you through email I decided to reformat. It wasn't like I was just ignoring the advice. I did learn one important thing though and that is I will never play with that boot animation tool again, You can do cool things with it to change your boot animation, but you pay a big penalty when things go bad and what happened to me is just a taste of the horror stories I've heard from some guys that don't have a clue when they screw things up with that tool. I'm done with it.

Back
Top Bottom