Windows 7 Share Specific Files to Network Device But Not to Homegroup?

Murkurial

I have a Homegroup configured on my Windows 7 install and I've got music, movies and images that I share across the different computers in my house and the other user accounts on the PC. I've got MKV files (soccer matches mostly) that I've converted to be played on the PS3 and I'm wondering if there is another way to share them with the PS3 without having to share them with everyone else as well?

I've added them to the "Video" library and then attempted to share them only with my user account but it also stops Windows from sharing them with the PS3. Is there any way for me, when searching for specific people to share with, to choose these other network devices like my 360 and PS3 in the same way that I can choose specific accounts (Mom, Dad, Guest, etc., etc.)?

Solution
In Windows 7, sharing libraries with specific users can be a bit restrictive as the sharing options are primarily user-based. However, to address your concern about sharing content with specific devices like your PS3 without sharing it with everyone else or other users on the network, you can explore alternate solutions to achieve this.
Here are some suggestions on how you can share content with your PS3 while restricting access to other users:
### Method 1: DLNA Media Server
Setting up a DLNA Media Server on your Windows 7 computer can be a great way to share media specifically with devices like your PS3.
1. Install DLNA Server Software: You can install DLNA server software like Windows Media Player or third-party DLNA servers...
In Windows 7, sharing libraries with specific users can be a bit restrictive as the sharing options are primarily user-based. However, to address your concern about sharing content with specific devices like your PS3 without sharing it with everyone else or other users on the network, you can explore alternate solutions to achieve this.
Here are some suggestions on how you can share content with your PS3 while restricting access to other users:
### Method 1: DLNA Media Server
Setting up a DLNA Media Server on your Windows 7 computer can be a great way to share media specifically with devices like your PS3.
1. Install DLNA Server Software: You can install DLNA server software like Windows Media Player or third-party DLNA servers such as Plex, Serviio, or Universal Media Server on your Windows 7 PC.
2. Configure DLNA Server: Configure the DLNA server to stream your media files to the PS3. You can usually select specific folders or libraries to share with specific devices.
3. Access Content: On your PS3, access the DLNA server from the media player options to stream the shared media content.
### Method 2: Direct File Sharing
If you prefer direct sharing without a dedicated DLNA server, you can look into alternative methods like directly sharing files from your Windows 7 PC to the PS3 using methods like:
1. USB Drive: Transfer the media files to a USB drive and then connect the USB drive to the PS3 to access the content.
2. Network Sharing: Use the built-in network sharing feature of Windows 7 to share the files directly with the PS3 without involving other users.
### Method 3: Setting Up Specific Network Shares
While Windows 7's sharing options are primarily user-based, you can create a separate user account on your PC specifically for sharing with the PS3. Then, share the files with that specific user account only.
Unfortunately, directly selecting specific network devices to share content with isn't a built-in feature of Windows 7's sharing settings. However, exploring DLNA servers or direct sharing methods can provide you with more control over sharing content with your PS3 while maintaining privacy for other users on your network.
Give these methods a try and see which one works best for your setup!

Solution