Windows 7 single / double quotes

verbatim

Hello all.
I have a really annoying problem, ever since win 7 beta I have been so angry that the single / double quote key was not working the usual way.
The problem is when I press the single quot button nothing happens, when I press it again bout quotes appear, same thing with double quotes, the to make thing even weirder when I press the single quot button and then let's say a I get á, witch does make sense, but I DONT need this.

I don't know if this is a new function (how can I disable it????) or a bug (please fix it :razz: ).

Please help me with this

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Ah the old annoying French Character setting.. ;) The trick to turn this off in Vista is to press the left CTRL+SHIFT keys at the same time.. (you may have to do it a couple times before it takes effect).. This SHOULD also work in Windows 7.. Unfortunately I'm at work and am unable to try it to see if it does indeed work.. (My employer is still using XP..) Hopefully that solves the issue for you.. :)

If it doesn't work please let us know and we'll see what else we can try...

quick reply :)

sadly no thin happened
but, thank to you I solved my problem (but the issue still remains).
I installed several English languages (UK, South Africa, Canada, Australia) and checked if they to have this issue and thankfully they did not :) .
The UK's key layout is a bit different but the Canadian (US) is the same as the English (United states) one.

I'm hitting my head int he wall for not trying this before :p

Thanks for the help

I have the exact same problem.
I use two keyboard languages - English - USA International layout and Bulgarian - Traditional Phonetic layout.
When I'm using Bulgarian phonetic there are no problems at all.
But when I'm using The English layout I have problems with the symbols ` ~ ' "
When I press the key for the first time - there is no symbol on the screen. When I press a second key then the both symbols appear.
For some letters like "a","e" etc. the combination with ` shows a stressed letter.
More interesting is that when I'm pressing one of the problem keys in one program like Notepad and after that I press a second key in another program - browser - both symbols appear in the second program.
In Bulgarian alphabet there aren't stressed letters. And they appear only when I'm using the English USA layout.

I use left CTRL + SHIFT to change keyboard languages and ALT+SHIFT for changing layouts.

Last edited:
@mIRCata: The English - USA International layout is causing the issue. You have to install the English (United States) - US keyboard, not the "United States-International" one.

Back